Work boots / shoes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Whilst not really a Bushcraft question this I thought I would ask anyway as there is a lot of knowledge on this site.

I'm after a new pair of boots or shoes for work. I work in an office so they have to be smartish but I work in IT and spend most of my days working from desk to desk fixing problems. Its a 9 floor building so I am doing quite a lot of walking each day and finding my normal office shoes just don't cut it add I'm getting Sore ache feet every day until I get home and take my shoes off.

So the question is after that ramble can anyone recommend some good boots for lots of walking that look smartish. Half sizes would be added plus.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Have you tried some decent insoles yet, Superfeet are worth the pennies.

It's sensible shoes for me too apart from Fridays when it's casual dress, I go for a soft leather shoe like these ...

http://www.next.co.uk/x49624s9

(shameless plug as it's almost bonus time) :)

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
I love my Blundstone 192 safety boots. They are like slippers and are pretty bombproof.
In fact it would seem that all my boots are Blunnies.... (No I don't work for them, just love 'em)

Blencathra

Dec 12, 2005
North Yorkshire, UK
Res,

Im a suit dude 5days a week, but cannot stand the thin leather sole shoes

I popped in to see Saul in the Rohan shop (Harrogate) and came out with some Rohan / Brasher boots shoes.

They are fantastically comfortable, smart and also boots made by Chris Brasher.

Brilliant.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
These are by far the most comfortable boots I've ever owned. They're a really high-quality brogue boot. And they're hand-made in England:

http://www.grenson.co.uk/en_gb/fred-v-670

They're resoleable, too. Red Wing make a similar kind of boot, too.

I've seen some of there footwear and they look extremely high quality, if only I could afford. I guess in the long run it works out reasonable, it's the initial outlay that is hard to find. Somewhere at the bottom of an ex girlfriends cupboard is a pair of Hawkins boots with DM soles. I had them for years and they were repairable. I wish I had them now, but I do have a pair of Hawkins shoes, again with the DM soles, they weigh a ton. If you can ever lay your hands on any retro footwear, when Northampton was the capital of boot manufacture and before everything sold out to China, it is wellworthwhile as they did not stint on materials then. Most modern boots and shoes seem to be a very thin skin of leather over fabric, they look good, they are comfortable, but they fall apart and cannot be resoled.

Biker

.... Most modern boots and shoes seem to be a very thin skin of leather over fabric, they look good, they are comfortable, but they fall apart and cannot be resoled.

Found that out to my cost with my Karrimor safety boots. They looked the biz but the sole split sideways and I found out what appeared as a solid chunk of rubber on the sole was actualy a 2mm thick covering over a foam like mould. VERY disappointed as the boots are really comfy. Now they're only good for working indoors because as soon as you step outside in the wet you start squidging in no time at all.

We're too much of a throwaway culture now, resoling boots/shoes is getting to be a dying art.

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
Found that out to my cost with my Karrimor safety boots. They looked the biz but the sole split sideways and I found out what appeared as a solid chunk of rubber on the sole was actualy a 2mm thick covering over a foam like mould. VERY disappointed as the boots are really comfy. Now they're only good for working indoors because as soon as you step outside in the wet you start squidging in no time at all.

We're too much of a throwaway culture now, resoling boots/shoes is getting to be a dying art.

Same story with my Karrimor walking boots - started out really comfy, great to walk in, within 2 months they were trying to syphon the puddles dry. Treated myself to a pair of Altbergs for Xmas- at least I know I can get them properly resoled when the time comes.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Had a pair of Grenson's 30-odd years ago, when the 25 quid they cost was still an arm and a leg. Once worn-in they were superb. I had them soled & heeled several times before they were sadly lost in a house move abt 10 yrs ago. Grenson, or maybe Church, did a trad plain or brogue shoe with a Vibram sole. My mate had a pair and swore they were the DBs in the shoe department.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
I have a of army steelies, went to get them resoled. 3 times the rubber split on both boots. The cobbler charged £27 for the resole, yet his strongest glue was unable to stopp the seam splitting. For £38 the Cats are washed once a fornight comfy although the laces are starting to fray.
A trip to altbergs would help, alas the army are changing their boots to a funny shade of ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE