woolrich dyeing help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Good afternoon just after a bit of help please
iv got a lovely woolrich field jacket plaid, its currently bright red and black check with a beige linner im wanting to make it a bit less bright i was thinking of trying to make the red darker by using a black dye, i havnt got a clue about dying or what dyes are best suited to a heavy wool?
Also to get a even colour would i be beter off dyeing it in the bath and at what temperature should the water be?
Thanks for any help ash

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Toddy would be the person to ask i think ,i have the same coat and love it ,i think you would be better selling it and buying one of their coats in a darker colour?.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Yes mate toddy was the person i first thought of, i no what you mean about selling but im reluctant as iv had a few of these type jackets and this is my favorite for quality fit comfort etc its not a new one its about thirty years old but like new and very well made id just like to take it from a bright red to a deep darker red if possible. Thanks alot ash

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
First thoughts are that brown might be better than black to darken the red and the beige without totalling the way the jacket looks.

Secondly, be wary of using the bath; if it dyes the wool it might well dye the bath.

Big cheap bucket trug from B&Q is about £6 and it'd be a lot safer. Useful afterwards too :approve:

Thirdly, check what the jacket's made from and buy a dye that is specific for that fabric. If it doesn't say it'll dye wool, it won't.

Fourthly :D Have you thought of doing what Spandit's doing ? Brewing up an enormous batch of really, really strong tea, and soaking the washed jacket in that for a few days ? That'll darken the red and the beige quite nicely. Not to black/black, iimmc, but it should tone them both down a fair bit.

Best of luck with it :D Let us know how it works out ?

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

tinderbox

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
East Lothian
If it's a woolrich fabric, i.e. contains other fibers, is there likely to be a problem with different fibers taking the dye unevenly?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If it's a woolrich fabric, i.e. contains other fibers, is there likely to be a problem with different fibers taking the dye unevenly?

Yes. Hopefully the fabric has been made from fibres which have been well, and evenly, distributed throughout the wool though.

That's one of the reasons for brown rather than black. The red won't show through so much on the brown if there are parts where the dye doesn't take. On black though, it can look a bit shabby. Same with the beige inside. It could end up muddy grey with pale bits showing.

cheers,
M

tinderbox

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
East Lothian
Thanks Toddy. I'll second using tea to die. It also works as a wood-stain, handy when you want to get new wood to blend with old wood which has darkened with age.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Thanks for the help, iv just had a look at spandits method and it looks great using the tea.
Toddy if i was to place the coat in the bath soaked in tea and keep an eye on it so it dosnt go wrong should the water be hot, just thinking about the coat shrinking?
Thanks again ash

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
If you can wait a couple of days I'm going to be dyeing my salmon blanket with tea (the other one was white to begin with)

After Toddy's advice, I started with the wool blanket in cold water & heated it up rather than putting straight in hot water. My setup has the advantage that I can keep it hot for a while. I might be able to obtain some suitable (slightly smaller) containers too although getting them to you might prove difficult

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tannin won't damage the wool. Iron will. Copper actually preserves it.

Wool doesn't like thermal shock, so don't go straight into hot water, and once it's hot don't put it straight into cold. When it is hot, don't agitate it vigorously either, just gently move it through the water.
Unless the wool has been chemically treated not to shrink, thermal shock, agitation and pressure can cause it to felt and shrink.

Tea will stain the bath. Doesn't matter whether it's plastic or enamel it'll take a power of cleaning, if it does clean that is. Think teacups but without a sealed surface layer.
I have used a couple of bin bags inside each other for support, before now. I used an upturned stool to hold the bags in place and tied the edges onto the tops of the legs. It's a bit HeathRobinson-ish, but do-able :) Big strong cardboard box should work too to hold the bags stable.

cheers,
Toddy

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
80 Tesco Value teabags - 27p! (and I didn't even have to pay for them!)

Brewing some STRONG tea now - using the old stuff but with 80 extra bags in it now! Will bring to the boil & keep it going for a bit. I'm then going to let it cool, scoop the teabags out (I'll put them in some old tights & add later) and then heat up again with ol' pinky in!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Tannin won't damage the wool. Iron will. Copper actually preserves it.

Wool doesn't like thermal shock, so don't go straight into hot water, and once it's hot don't put it straight into cold. When it is hot, don't agitate it vigorously either, just gently move it through the water.
Unless the wool has been chemically treated not to shrink, thermal shock, agitation and pressure can cause it to felt and shrink.

Tea will stain the bath. Doesn't matter whether it's plastic or enamel it'll take a power of cleaning, if it does clean that is. Think teacups but without a sealed surface layer.
I have used a couple of bin bags inside each other for support, before now. I used an upturned stool to hold the bags in place and tied the edges onto the tops of the legs. It's a bit HeathRobinson-ish, but do-able :) Big strong cardboard box should work too to hold the bags stable.

cheers,
Toddy

I used a canoe barrel as a dye bath (using Dylon) - the big ones are just right for a big hoodie or a pair of trousers....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Dylon makes dyes specific to wool and silk.

It's why I keep harping on to folks that if they don't get a dye that says it'll dye wool, then it won't.

They aren't the only company who make these dyes though. Wool needs an acid dye to take colour well, but most dyes nowadays are produced to work on cotton or polycotton.
Animal fibre vs plant/cellulose fibres, and the ones for nylon, etc., too.

cheers,
Mary

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE