Dyeing a DPM jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Hello ladies and gents.

After a bit of advice if I may. After de-mob I retained a load of DPM gear, and whilst its great for general farm work or walking the dogs, I need to shake my ex-forces look!

In particular I am talking about my dpm smock jacket. I love the fit and functionality but the dpm has got to go.

Has anyone managed to dye one to completely get rid of the dpm pattern without dyeing it jet black?? Never dyed anything before so this could be a stupid question!!

Cheers in advance!

Paul.

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
A mate of mine dyed his windproof a few years ago, he found that by using dark green them dark brown dyes he got a decent finish. He tried dying another smock black but the dpm still showed thru...

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Redbranchwarrior - thanks for the info. Did your friend get a solid colour?? Im keen to completely rid the dpm. Do you know what type of dye to use? Sorry for all the questions.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I doubt you'll get rid of the disruptive pattern. Dyeing it will alter the colours, but will not cover the pattern.
By using green or brown you will get shades of these, but the real military look will be gone. You might be mistaken for a hunter afterwards. ;)

Last edited:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I had a bash at dyeing some DPM trousers a few years back, used a dark green wash in dye. The green and olive(?) areas ended up the same colour, the brown was a tiny bit darker but you had to look close to tell the difference, the dark brown just got darker. So I more or less ended up with two shades rather than the original four. They looked ok.

HTH

Stuart.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
...any thoughts on bleaching first then dyeing?

If this is a no-go, does anyone know if there is a plain OG smock available??

I'm not sure but my gut feeling would say that any bleach strong enough to get rid of the colours is going to ruin the fabric too.

US army BDU's?

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
I've dyed a flectarn parka black with the dylon washing machine stuff.it came out pretty good you can still see the camo pattern slightly underneath but it doesn't bother me cause I really only use it as a bit if a thrasher coat.you could try dyeing it 2 or three times too get a consistent colour.i think I read somewhere once that yer can bleach it first then dye it if you want a lighter shade but don't quote me on it it pal you'll have too research that I don't want too be responsible for ballsing yer coat up

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Shaggystu - its the fit i really like with the british smock. Just seems to work for me.

Alreetmiowdmuka - cheers for the info pal. The jacket is just gonna be a bush coat anyway so no danger if it goes wrong lol

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Shaggystu - its the fit i really like with the british smock. Just seems to work for me....

The old SASS ventile/garberdine smocks are based on the army issue stuff I reckon, so the fit should be more or less the same, and they came in OD, finding one is a bit tricky though I believe. Only other suggestion would be to look at Dutch surplus stuff, that's all pretty much the same design as the British stuff and you quite often find things in OD. Only other suggestion would be to get some desert DPM and see if that dyes any better (lighter colours to start with, so should be easier).

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
The old SASS ventile/garberdine smocks are based on the army issue stuff I reckon, so the fit should be more or less the same, and they came in OD, finding one is a bit tricky though I believe. Only other suggestion would be to look at Dutch surplus stuff, that's all pretty much the same design as the British stuff and you quite often find things in OD. Only other suggestion would be to get some desert DPM and see if that dyes any better (lighter colours to start with, so should be easier).

I've a Dutch NBC smock it's lined padded and lovely to wear this is OG a also waterproof wind proof if that helps

Danny1962

Nov 12, 2014
Maidstone, Kent
I’ve been following with interest some of the “can you dye dpm?” threads here on Bushcraft. I have several British military jackets, they are excellent outdoor wear. I like the tough practicality of these jackets, and they are really good value. But there are social and business occasions when DPM isn’t the ideal colour scheme to wear and I was wondering about dyeing one of my jackets a dark brown colour in order to tone down the camouflage pattern and make the jacket look less overtly military.

Threads on Bushcraft (and also on Army Rumour Service) seem to give mixed opinions on how well this works. The consensus is that the IRR (infrared reflective) properties of the clothing make it very difficult to dye. If I try to dye a woodland DPM jacket I could easily end up ruining a perfectly good jacket and find I can neither wear it as I’d intended, nor sell it on to anyone else. But I’m going to have a go at dyeing some of my DPM shirts, this won’t be a disaster if it doesn’t go as intended because I usually wear these under another layer, for instance I use them as a windproof layer under hi-vis clothing.

These threads and my subsequent research raised some interesting points. I had a good look on Wikipedia’s Army Combat Uniform page. It is about the US Army issue stuff but I’m sure it also applies to UK stuff too.

Firstly, contrary to popular belief, the IRR is not a coating or a treatment. It’s an integral part of the material and the dyes, and these are in the manufacturer specifications. So it’s practically impossible to get rid of the IRR. I did see a thread that suggested boiling the clothing in washing soda, but isn’t that likely to wreck the garment?

Secondly, using detergent with optical brighteners, or using fabric conditioners or starch negates the IRR but is unlikely to remove the IRR qualities to the extent that dyeing the fabric becomes possible. In a nighttime combat situation it seems it would simply mask the IRR qualities at the very point when the wearer would need them most!

Thirdly, black patterning is being used less nowadays in camo because it has a very distinctive infrared signature. There’s a good photo of this on the Battle Dress Uniform Wikipedia page. A soldier is wearing black boots and holding a black rifle, and these items show out loud and clear against his uniform and the vegetation behind him when viewed in near infrared. Which makes me wonder if those alleged SAS ripstop jackets in black are for real. I’m not sure why the SAS would ever use black clothing when there are better alternatives available. And anyway, those jackets are much more expensive than DPM and I’m not sure I’d want to wear one, they look a little too “wannabe special forces” for my liking.

Since the British military jacket is so well designed but not everyone wants them in DPM, I don’t know why a manufacturer doesn’t produce them to the same pattern and spec as the DPMs or DDPs, but in single colours (navy or beige, for example). I’d have expected to see more of these offered for sale.

I’ve decided to go for another option altogether and acquire an ex Austrian army M65 jacket, so my wife is getting me one for Christmas. It isn’t a direct match for the British jacket, but these items are evidently very well thought of and will do some things better than UK DPM and others not so well. However it is still a classic and is highly thought of.

Danny1962

Nov 12, 2014
Maidstone, Kent
Here’s an update to my previous post. I’ve now dyed three of my DPM lightweight jackets. I dyed one black, one dark brown and one dark green. In my opinion the green colour has come out the best.

The dye does not obliterate the camo pattern but it definitely tones it down. From a distance it is not obvious the garment has a camo pattern however you do see it close up.

I’ve posted some photos here...
https://plus.google.com/photos/110055669501444994025/albums/6083486943131794161

Each lightweight jacket (or heavyweight shirt, depending on how you want to define it!) weighs 540g dry. A box of Dylon should be used for each 600g of fabric, so that’s one box per jacket / shirt. The box of dye costs £5 from Wilkinsons, and the salt costs 48p.

I’ve just done one of my combat jackets now, in dark green. This jacket weighs 1230g dry so it required two boxes of dye (but still only one 500g bag of salt).

So I can conclude it is possible to dye DPM and get some very acceptable results. Don’t expect to cover up the camo altogether. It’s not cheap, with dye at £5 a box, but since army surplus DPM clothing is incredibly cheap for what it is I still think it’s a bargain even when adding the cost of the dye. I used quite strong, dark colours, but there are many others available and the end results could be interesting if you really wanted to go wild with the colour scheme.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Interesting - I dyed a '94 pattern smock with black Dylon. It came out very well, not totally black but 90% of the way there. The material makes all the difference - cotton is good, poly blends not so and poly a no-no.
Cheers
Phil

reedx

Tenderfoot
Apr 12, 2012
Durham
www.REEDX.net
I’ve decided to go for another option altogether and acquire an ex Austrian army M65 jacket, so my wife is getting me one for Christmas. It isn’t a direct match for the British jacket, but these items are evidently very well thought of and will do some things better than UK DPM and others not so well. However it is still a classic and is highly thought of.

Good choice. Love my Austrian army M65 jacket.

Colin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE