Woodworm In Firewood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I have found a nice big ash branch that was removed from a tree maybe a year or two ago about 6 inch in diameter maybe 15 foot long, the wood is very well seasoned.

It has wood worm though, plenty of holes along the outer bark, but the wood itself is fine and strong. I was going to chop it up for fire wood and maybe see if i could get a bow stave or 2 out of it.

Is it wise to keep it seperate from my other fire wood stored outside or doesn't it matter. Would it be better to remove all bark and larvae?

Thanks
Mark

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Sounds more likely ash bark beetle than woodworm to me. These creatures lay eggs under the bark then the larvae tunnel out in a bunch of directions from a central tunnel. They only eat the bast of inner bark of recently dead trees and don't go into the wood. Peel a bit of bark off and see if that is what you have. If it was woodworm then it would be useless as a bow but I don't see any problem with getting woodworm in your firewood supply, you will be burning it before they hatch.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Sounds more likely ash bark beetle than woodworm to me. These creatures lay eggs under the bark then the larvae tunnel out in a bunch of directions from a central tunnel. They only eat the bast of inner bark of recently dead trees and don't go into the wood. Peel a bit of bark off and see if that is what you have. If it was woodworm then it would be useless as a bow but I don't see any problem with getting woodworm in your firewood supply, you will be burning it before they hatch.

I think you are right about the ash bark beetle Robin. They do not go into the wood itself and there are many tunnels leading off a central one at 90 degrees ish.

So the woods fine then? No probs with storage?

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I have the exact same thing, some ash (5 to 7 inch diam with smooth bark not big enough to be rough) was so infested it looked like it was used as a dart board, but was not into the main wood. LOL I once bought some ash off a (nameless bloke) and it actually had small worms in it like bloodworms for fishing with. The wood was badly spalted and wasnt easy to split. He did sell me some nice bits of burr elm though.....

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
It's firewood ! You're not a Buddhist, are you ? If it burns, then it's suitable for firewood, and I guess the spirits of the residents will accept their Karma on this one.

It is stored next to the house in a wooden open shed, don't want woodworm in the timbers or anywhere near. No probs with burning it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE