Woodsmoke

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Has anyone here been on these courses? Me and my mate are interested in taking part in the woodlander course.

Is the course worthwhile and what are they like? I do have experience of camping and I'm a semi-experienced hillwalker although I havent been out in a few years and only 21.

I am worried about there water parts of the course as I am not the strongest swimmer.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Pandabean said:
Has anyone here been on these courses? Me and my mate are interested in taking part in the woodlander course.

Is the course worthwhile and what are they like? I do have experience of camping and I'm a semi-experienced hillwalker although I havent been out in a few years and only 21.

I am worried about there water parts of the course as I am not the strongest swimmer.

Woodsmoke is in my personal opinion one of the best Bushcraft school in the country, Ben and Lisa's capacity to deliver clear and comprehensive instruction make them my instructors of choice when asked to recommend a school for Bushcraft and survival in the UK.

The woodlander course is likely to be the most worthwhile course you have attended since you learnt to drive.

There is no basis for any apprehension with regards to swimming, Woodsmokes level of professional conduct and safety is beyond reproach

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
since you are in scotland why not have a look at the courses run by backwoods survival.
Patrick is a great bloke and a fantastic teacher. you can see some of his work in tutorials throught the forums.
backwoods survival

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
Stuart said:
Woodsmoke is in my personal opinion one of the best Bushcraft school in the country, Ben and Lisa's capacity to deliver clear and comprehensive instruction make them my instructors of choice when asked to recommend a school for Bushcraft and survival in the UK.

The woodlander course is likely to be the most worthwhile course you have attended since you learnt to drive.

There is no basis for any apprehension with regards to swimming, Woodsmokes level of professional conduct and safety is beyond repute

i've done courses with a few different schools, including woodsmoke's abo and nomad courses. id ahve to agree with stuart, but he probably meant "beyond reproach" at the end. :rolleyes: :D

i've met patrick briefly, and attended his lectures at the wilderness gathering, a very clever bloke indeed, and friend of the forum. i don't think you could go wrong either way :cool:

cheers, and.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
:eek: thanks sargey, a very embarrassing mix-up of words, not sure how that happened :dunno: (I blame MS spell check for its inability to correctly interpret my horrific spelling)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I don't know about their courses but I know Ben and Lisa from when they went to art college with my girlfriend and they are really nice people that I would have no hesitation in saying will make the effort to help people out.

Plus on the water side of it all, if it all goes horribly wrong and you end up in deep water...

They used to work as lifeguards at the local baths for a while if I remember right :)

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
There are no water activities on the basic weekend and week course (trailbreaker and woodlander) ... they just tell you to bring your swimming stuff so you can have a swin in the tarn or take the canoes out in the evening when people are relaxing.... well thats what is was when i was there, and i dont think they have changed it.

I'd suggest phoneing them / contacting them as Ben and Lisa are very approachable and friendly and I'm sure they can allay any fears you have.

Well worth it

:D
Ed

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
Ive done the weekend bushcraft course and the traker course
with woodsmoke and both were excelent the hole team were great .
They even added in extera things that people wanted to see or do.

Rob.

windward

Forager
Sep 28, 2006
Edinburgh
I was at a Woodsmoke 2 day course last month, which was part of a Guide Dogs sponsored event. It was the first course I'd attended and have to agree with Stuart. Ben, and his instructors, have an incredible depth of knowledge and explain / demonstrate everything in great detail so you can't go wrong when trying the various tasks.

I'm looking to do the Woodlander course next year. I did ask Ben about courses in Scotland...he mentioned Patricks school, though he did say he had never met him, but what he had seen of his work he seemed to know his craft and he'd heard nothing bad about the school.

As far as I'm concerned I'd take the drive south to Woodsmoke...I know it's another 2 hrs for you but would be well worth the extra drive...you wouldn't be disappointed!

Vince

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE