Woodlore Knives vs Puukko knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lika

Jun 19, 2021
Romania
Hello folks!
I thought for many times to start this topic but today I thought of going to work.
More specifically, I'm interested in your opinions on Woodlore knives vs Puukko knives but also to argue the choice made.
Thank you in advance!

Reactions: Erbswurst

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Depends on the use, Woodlore style knives are general arounders (apart from food prep) and are often 3mm or 4mm thick steel.

Puukko's fit a similar role to the Woodlore style, but often rat tail tang, so although can be tasked to similar work, there is often a tenancy to not be pushed as hard.

Now for me the grind and blade thickness is more important, for the tasks at hand. It is hard to beat a high scandi grind on thin blade stock for wood carving. While a shallower scandi grind that you get on the Enzo trappers is a great beating edge, that wedges wood apart.

As I go on this journey into what I personally prefer using, I am leaning more towards high sabre grinds and convex edge, and full tang.

Reactions: Toddy and lika

lika

Jun 19, 2021
Romania
Hello folks!
I thought for many times to start this topic but today I thought of going to work.
More specifically, I'm interested in your opinions on Woodlore knives vs Puukko knives but also to argue the choice made.
Thank you in advance!
True, but I suspect Lika meant 'Woodlore style' - of which there are many examples!
Yes, I mean “woodlore style”, bushcraft classic knife

lika

Jun 19, 2021
Romania
Depends on the use, Woodlore style knives are general arounders (apart from food prep) and are often 3mm or 4mm thick steel.

Puukko's fit a similar role to the Woodlore style, but often rat tail tang, so although can be tasked to similar work, there is often a tenancy to not be pushed as hard.

Now for me the grind and blade thickness is more important, for the tasks at hand. It is hard to beat a high scandi grind on thin blade stock for wood carving. While a shallower scandi grind that you get on the Enzo trappers is a great beating edge, that wedges wood apart.

As I go on this journey into what I personally prefer using, I am leaning more towards high sabre grinds and convex edge, and full tang.
Good point of view, @gra_farmer!

Reactions: Thoth

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
My introduction to the tools of bushcraft involved the Woodlore-style knife, among others. Later on, I tried out the puuko style of cutting tool, with mixed success. They are more delicate and, as has been mentioned, better for finer work, such as finer carving and food preparation. The pentagon geometry of the blade is interesting and lends a different 'feel' and technique to cutting and carving; personally, I have found this a mixed blessing, working well on some puukos and less well on others.

By contrast, the Woodlore-style knife is a heavier-duty cutting tool which, for a broad range of bushcraft activities, works pretty well. That style certainly has a stronger, more robust 'feel' to it, which engenders a greater confidence in the tool's ability to perform a given task.

Ultimately, I think it depends (a) on what you are used to and (b) what you want your knife to do. Every cutting tool is a compromise of some sort, be it Woodlore-style or puuko; your happiness with the choice you make depends on your ability to accept the strengths and weaknesses of any particular design, any particular make. For me, I think I'd rate the Woodlore-style blade above the puuko but the Peltonen Sissipuuko is a very fine tool...

Reactions: lika and Athos

lika

Jun 19, 2021
Romania
My introduction to the tools of bushcraft involved the Woodlore-style knife, among others. Later on, I tried out the puuko style of cutting tool, with mixed success. They are more delicate and, as has been mentioned, better for finer work, such as finer carving and food preparation. The pentagon geometry of the blade is interesting and lends a different 'feel' and technique to cutting and carving; personally, I have found this a mixed blessing, working well on some puukos and less well on others.

By contrast, the Woodlore-style knife is a heavier-duty cutting tool which, for a broad range of bushcraft activities, works pretty well. That style certainly has a stronger, more robust 'feel' to it, which engenders a greater confidence in the tool's ability to perform a given task.

Ultimately, I think it depends (a) on what you are used to and (b) what you want your knife to do. Every cutting tool is a compromise of some sort, be it Woodlore-style or puuko; your happiness with the choice you make depends on your ability to accept the strengths and weaknesses of any particular design, any particular make. For me, I think I'd rate the Woodlore-style blade above the puuko but the Peltonen Sissipuuko is a very fine tool...
@Tiley: I like your answer very much! I heard good things regarding Peltonen Sissipuukko but I also really liked the way Terrava Jaakaripuukko 110 behaved.
Instead, my Classic Beaver Knife is a reliable knife, but I can't do finer carvings with it (kuksa, piece of chess etc.)

Athos

Mar 12, 2021
East Sussex
Agreed with the above. A puuko makes a nice companion blade to something more heavy duty that you might carry in a pack - axe or maybe a leuku. Something similar to a Woodlore is just a good all round utility knife. Whilst they overlap in some usage, they’re fundamentally different. Then there’s the price difference too, a nice Marttiini puuko is about £40, whereas I think most of what you call the Woodlore style knives start from about £100.

The top knife is about an inch longer than a Woodlore, but the picture I think demonstrates the fundamental differences in design.

C8B0DFDC-28BD-4D6A-88CE-E1A0BC54D514.jpeg

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I think what you expect from a tool starts with your mindset. If you have the mindset of carrying less tools that cover a broader range of uses, a jack of all trades if you like, then a woodlore style will probably suit well.

If you are more of a right tool right job mindset, and are happier carrying a broader range of tools, you'll likely go for a finer knife suited to lighter tasks and also carry something like an axe. I'm personally the latter- I enjoy using an axe and a fine knife too much!

Edit: I have small hands and sausage fingers so for me a big knife sucks :(

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I was always told that you haven't an 'ope-in-'ell of keeping it sharp...
Certainly true of the stainless ones.

Going back to the OP... if you're in seriously cold conditions you'll definitely appreciate a tang fully enclosed in the handle, such as the rat tail on a puukko, over a slab scale construction.

Reactions: lika

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Yes, you are right.
We can't talk here the whole thread about knives for people with small hands and sausage fingers!

Although, the Marttiini Lynx 121 might be a good solution for such people and is obviously a classical puukko.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE