Woodlore Knife Pro

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Overhyped, at 5 mm overbuilt and very overpriced. If they would produce a Woodlore pattern in 3 mm at a decent price it would actually be useful..

ED-E

May 22, 2012
Germany
I want to emphasize on the description of this knife not being a beginners' knife but a knife which is designed by a professional for professionals.

I asked Woodlore some simple questions which primarly professionals would like to know but none of those questions got answered because they want to keep the specifications a secret in the coming months.

I just asked for a topview image to see how the knife tapers and how the handle got contoured/how thick (thus how comfortable) it is. I asked where the balance point is located because it is described as blade heavy (even though it's seemingly slightly tapered) and I asked about the blade as well as the grind height (so that I can calculate the edge angle myself) respectively I asked about the edge angle as well. Does 25% edge mean it has a 14° angle (percent to degrees), 25° included angle or something else? I mean.. come on. Personally I think that 5mm is somewhat on the clumsy site (it has to be designed/done right) and I believe that most professionals already found what works for them so Woodlore should be prepared to answer such questions if they are serious about this product, imho.

I don't buy a pig in a poke, I want to know what I'm buying so I'm not impressed and calling this knife 'overhyped' isn't far stretched either.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
So Woodlore have produced a knife with limited appeal to other than a Buschcraft Professional? Aint gonna sell too many then!

Professionals use knifes. A "professional" knife may be used by both novice and professional.

K

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
I want to emphasize on the description of this knife not being a beginners' knife but a knife which is designed by a professional for professionals.

I asked Woodlore some simple questions which primarly professionals would like to know but none of those questions got answered because they want to keep the specifications a secret in the coming months.

I just asked for a topview image to see how the knife tapers and how the handle got contoured/how thick (thus how comfortable) it is. I asked where the balance point is located because it is described as blade heavy (even though it's seemingly slightly tapered) and I asked about the blade as well as the grind height (so that I can calculate the edge angle myself) respectively I asked about the edge angle as well. Does 25% edge mean it has a 14° angle (percent to degrees), 25° included angle or something else? I mean.. come on. Personally I think that 5mm is somewhat on the clumsy site (it has to be designed/done right) and I believe that most professionals already found what works for them so Woodlore should be prepared to answer such questions if they are serious about this product, imho.

I don't buy a pig in a poke, I want to know what I'm buying so I'm not impressed and calling this knife 'overhyped' isn't far stretched either.

Makes no sense at all, no pro of anything is going to buy a product without knowing the specs just coz it says "pro" lol

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I teach bushcraft full time so i guess that makes me a professional. Would I buy this knife for use on courses? The simple answer is no. I have some expensive knives and some less expensive ones. On a course I use the knife my students are using to demonstrate its the technique that achieves the result not the chopper.

I have considered designing the Forest Knights knife for students and staff but thought actually a cheap Frost Mora does the job. I have many nice carving tools and axes. I would rather invest £500 in quality carving tools that actually make my life easier.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The 25º will mean 12.5º per side. That will be equal along the length.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I would suggest there is no good reason to buy such a car, its a waste of money which could have fed and housed a few families for a life time in parts of our world, and its killing our planet with an engine which uses stupid amounts of fuel to carry someone uncomfortably at the same speed as my 1.2 corsa

People may argue its their money to waste, i would suggest such a selfish attitude is the reason people are watching their kids starve and entire villages are being washed away by rising sea levels

But thats just me :p ...and of course i am well aware that a siginficant proportion of the people on this planet do not agree (which is why we're all doooooomed)

Not to divert from the topic... at least not for long... but where are these villages that are being washed away by rising sea levels?

I wouldn't worry too much about the California 250GT owners, they don't tend to drive their cars a lot... and they certainly don't leave their cars running on the drive way all day like I do. I did have two cars running at one time, but I found out the Mini was low emissions, so it had to go. Whether I can get a large gas-guzzler as they're called to replace it remains to be seen, but I like to do my bit when it comes to emissions. There was even a helpful advert on the telly recently telling me that if I turn my thermostat up in the house, that will help with emissions... blooming useful information that I wouldn't have known otherwise.

So yeah, expensive knives cause rising sea levels. Least thats what I heard.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
For £550 you could buy all the equipment + more to get you started making your own knives and duplicate the knife in question which would cost around 20 quid for material :lmao:

You haven't been to SWC's site and had a walk around his workshop, with all that gear why make them by hand??????????????

And a big hurrah for Mr Grylls at least his Knives (not that he makes them, just adds his name to them) are all reasonably priced

regarding emissions, I find that if you leave all the doors and windows open, and the central heating set right up, it really has the emissions flowing, after all if we didn't help Greenpeace wouldn't have anything to do, and all the Green MP's(all one of them) would be out of a job.At least that is what my wife says, :lmao:

Last edited:

ED-E

May 22, 2012
Germany
The 25º will mean 12.5º per side. That will be equal along the length.

I know that but it's described as 25% edge (quote: "The 25% edge is in my opinion the domain angle for use in temperate Arctic environments."), not 25º. I just wanted some clarification about this because it's not common to give blade angles in %. Mathematically, it would be about 14º. 14º per side could make sense because if I remember correctly, the regular 4mm thick Woodlore had an included angle of about 30º, which is about 15º per side. Plus it's described 'for use in temperate Arctic environments' so I would think they went with a more obtuse or as an obtuse angle as the regular Woodlore but well, I just speculate. Still. I don't think it's a smart move not to answer such questions if they're are serious about targeting 'professionals'.

Anyway, my students are supplied with Mora knives during our courses and if they want my advice for a custom scandi knife I almost always give them your name. In my opinion your knives are some of the best money can buy.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
No one describes bevels by percentage.... Some numpty guy from admin/web design got it wrong. It'll be 25º.... people said the original woodlore was too steep at 28º (not 30)

I know that but it's described as 25% edge (quote: "The 25% edge is in my opinion the domain angle for use in temperate Arctic environments."), not 25º. I just wanted some clarification about this because it's not common to give blade angles in %. Mathematically, it would be about 14º. 14º per side could make sense because if I remember correctly, the regular 4mm thick Woodlore had an included angle of about 30º, which is about 15º per side. Plus it's described 'for use in temperate Arctic environments' so I would think they went with a more obtuse or as an obtuse angle as the regular Woodlore but well, I just speculate. Still. I don't think it's a smart move not to answer such questions if they're are serious about targeting 'professionals'.

Anyway, my students are supplied with Mora knives during our courses and if they want my advice for a custom scandi knife I almost always give them your name. In my opinion your knives are some of the best money can buy.

Last edited:

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
All the BS in the world won't sell this knife in any great numbers. It's a scandi ground carbon steel Bushcraft knife, dose the same job as a Mora Bushcraft black, A.Wright bushy, TBS boar, my bushtools , Mark's bushy and any other similar style knife. It's got a pointless taper at both ends and Ray's name on it.
I'm a complete knife nutt and will usually buy something new just to try it out, I have no intention of buying one of these.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
A name can sell.
I want to see myself as a guy that can see through marketing like this, but as I just bought a revolver with Jerry Miculeks name on I am just as bad/stupid as those guys buying this knife.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
What is temperate Arctic? A less warm Arctic ???? Does that mean the knife is only suitable for Arctic conditions if so it's not gonna be too much use to any of us.

Scandinavia, northern Russia, Canada and Alaska.

The knife has strong influences of the various Scandinavian knifes.
But I am sure it is OK to use in the Kalahari too.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The 25% edge is in my opinion the domain angle for use in temperate Arctic environments.")

There is quite a bit wrong with this sentence. If it read "The 25° edge is in my opinion the optimum angle for use in Temperate and Arctic environments" it would make some sense. How that got to copy I've no idea, but it doesn't present well.

As I've made my views clear elsewhere, in a thread in which the maker made comment on actual usage and then was outed as the maker, I'll not make any more comment here.

There is no problem any body making and selling knives at any price they want . But yes it is right for people to point out that it maybe a little expensive, any body interested in knives who want one will know this they are paying for something other than the materials and fair cost of labour to make etc
However hopfully any body who dosnt know and thinks that they have to buy this with their last ££s to be as good as Ray and a professional level Bushcrafter will maybe realise that actually its nothing special as a knife the materials are basic and the design is not new or improved from others that have been around .

Im sure all teh Instructors Ray produced and who earned there Woodlore instructors edition arnt now feeling devalued as the obviously didnt get a Pro level knife

25 deg is a good angle for this it was the angle i settled on when i started making but moved on from O1 steel to IMO better even my Flandi grind a 6mm thick with Full flat to scandi and taper tang i get embarrassed to ask much over £200 for certainly would run rings round this blade ;) but is designed and made by me not 2 Big names in teh industry

now the £550 has to pay 3 people SWC, Woodlore and 20% to VAT most makers like me dont turn over enough to pay vat so thats a fair chunk of cost

I doubt SWC make much more mark up than i do on these peobably less as his SWC badged O1 scandi blades are in the more normal Cost area but thast how selling to trade works I get a lot less per blank selling to EHMKs to resell than i do selling direct but the Qtys keep the cash flow working .

One think im interested in and its only from the pic show here so could be wrong the grind seems to be tangential so on a non tapered blade the grind line is parallel to the edge you can see some shortening from the Distal taper but this can give a very weak point especially on a pukko profile

if its vertically ground the grind line diminishes as it goes up the curve this gives a much stronger Tip

this one appears to have a slight bowie drop to the tip from spine like the Skhookum Bushtool which helps a little to strengthen the tip again . But at 25 deg in O1 looks a little fragile to me for what is supposed to be a bigger hard worker. The 5mm at the ricasso end certainly does nothing with a straight Scandi grind 4mm Woodlore is bad enough.

so will it sell ..yes of course it will and hopefully the owners will use and enjoy or collect for investment
but if you want a well designed Working knife up from a mora dont feel you have to scrape your last pennies together for a basic material basic design

ATB

Duncan

But using that logic, why would anyone ever purchase a Ferrari California 250GT?

0 to 60, 7 seconds? You could beat that with a much cheaper car. 140mph top speed, most modern saloons will do that. Comfort - the GT isn't very comfortable, it could be argued a 1980s Lada offers better comfort. Aesthetically, there are better looking cars and economy wise, its a heavy car with an oversized inefficient engine... so not great there either.

Hard to see why it is the most expensive car in the world right now, but then we're not all billionaire car collectors with a taste for the rarer car.

I can understand the collector spending £550 on a knife, I can understand a real enthusiast... but for the average person, it makes about as much sense as buying a California GT just to do the school run. But... and there is always a but... suggesting a Mora as a replacement to a collector is like offering a Nissan Micra to someone who collects classic cars.

but this isnt a ferrari v a micra they are different they dont have the same engine running gear bodywork etc

to be ferrari it would be Dammasteel Damascus blade mammoth tooth Scales Etched and engraved with a hand tooled leather sheath and Presentation Box

its a Ford focus with a Ferrari badge the basic materials and build fit and finish are the same as lots of std O1 Micarta handled knives at much lower prices including SWCs own brand

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
but this isnt a ferrari v a micra they are different they dont have the same engine running gear bodywork etc

to be ferrari it would be Dammasteel Damascus blade mammoth tooth Scales Etched and engraved with a hand tooled leather sheath and Presentation Box

its a Ford focus with a Ferrari badge the basic materials and build fit and finish are the same as lots of std O1 Micarta handled knives at much lower prices including SWCs own brand

The comparison had nothing to do with the materials or quality, more about why would you pay more for a tool that doesn't out perform another.

A collector , a serious collector, will pay a premium to purchase a product that might not offer anything other than rarity and/or a label. Arguably the modern Micra is a better car than the 250GT, but it isn't rare, it isn't a collectors car so it doesn't have a premium price.

The knife in question may not be rare, but it has a label which makes it collectable. So it carries a premium, regardless of its component parts. Whether the average person is willing to pay that premium for the sake of a label is an individual choice. Some will, some won't, but the people who buy it are not getting any better a knife than its cheaper cousins.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE