Woodlore Hootchie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Have to say mine arrived the next day too... as well as a rather nice Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe :-D

One very happy customer !

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
SquirrelBoy said:
Ausi hootchie has been reduced to £35 - its a special offer to clear stocks so be quick. Its the olive green varierty.

Also they are doing hootchie cord £10, 4x4m thin guy line & 1x7m thick ridge line.

Hope thats of interest :)

Ebay seller no.1_in_the_door has been selling these on ebay - cleverly putting only one or two up at a time to keep the price high, the first few sold for silly money...

He's recently started to put them on with a buy-it-now price of £25 + £4 pnp

I wonder if a load of these have been dumped on the UK market - just recently the price and availability have improved greatly...

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
One thing to be very wary about is there are a lot of very cheap and nasty Far eastern imports on the market at present. These come with all sorts of problems - up coating suck togehter being the classic! :shock:

Not sure howyou can tell if they are genuine Aussie army ones yet but as I am expecting to recieve some direct from Australia soon I will soon be able to tell you. :-D

Until then remember the old adage -

If it looks to good to be true - it generally is to good to be true! :oops:

J

Jamie

Gary's right...theres a lot of cheap knock offs coming in from the far east which really arent up to much, be careful where and who you buy from

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Adi says this is the issue sheet....

hootch1.jpg

hootch2.jpg

hootch3.jpg

I think the label is unique to the Aus issue sheet. I got this one from the survival school for £25 quid. I think they're out of stock at the moment.

Brynglas

I don't know if the price is equivalent but I use a lot of the Arktis made stuff which is really good quality, and their shelter top is a very good, hardwearing bit of kit. If you can't get a local supplier, then Arktis can sell to you direct.

I don't work for them, and I have no connection other than that I use a lot of their kit in work and I find it extremely good.

http://www.arktisltd.co.uk

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Brynglas said:
I don't know if the price is equivalent but I use a lot of the Arktis made stuff which is really good quality, and their shelter top is a very good, hardwearing bit of kit. If you can't get a local supplier, then Arktis can sell to you direct.

I don't work for them, and I have no connection other than that I use a lot of their kit in work and I find it extremely good.

http://www.arktisltd.co.uk
It's hard to beat Arktis stuff ... Arktis and SASS gear.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
This is true and to be honest webtex knock out good stuff too as do BCB - but these are all made in UK and made to MOD standards.

The Aussie hootchie is made to Aussie army standards but like the US army poncho (the genuine article being fantastic and made to US mil specs) there are so many copies now its hard to get a good one.

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
My ebay "Aussie hootchie" turned up today - I'm impressed (and relieved...)

It's toughly made, no sign of stickiness in the coating, the stitching is neat, the webbing loops plentiful and stout, and the press-studs are reassuringly tight

I've just been messing around with the press studs along the long edge and its turned into a tube that could be a sleeping bag cover or, since there are loops along each edge, a stretcher or even a hammock. Do you reckon it'll hold my slyph-like 200 lb frame :shock: :lol:

So I'm pleased with it, but of course its water-proof qualities have yet to be tested...

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
Errr, bit less than my bench waterstone, but a bit more than my Gransfors Bruks axestone :rolmao:

Dunno if that helps, but I don't have scales handy here in my office (where I hide my illicit purchases until I can smuggle them home... "This old thing? Had it for years!" Bad boaty :tw: )

MarkG

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 4, 2004
Wednesbury, West Mids
The one from Survival School is still out of stock but I've just got this from Jonny Crockett

The hootchies should arrive in the next week or so.
They will be slightly more expensive (about £29.99 instead of £24.99). The quality is better and the exchange rate is worse.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Jack said:
Ed said:
boaty... Just out of interest, how heavy is it?

:)
Ed

Ed, you want to be looking at about .6 - .7 Kg anything over, say 1000gms, is rather on the heavy side.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. my SASS tarp is about 750 g and is ultra strong.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
It is one of those things where for once, the lighter it is, the better the quality. That is pretty good guide to use.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Cheers for that :) As you know I like my kit light as possible..... Now if only they made then in real tree / advantage timber....

:)
Ed

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
If they did that Ed you would never be able to find your basha once you set it up!

The forest would be littered with lost Basha's!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE