Woodlore Hootchie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Ausi hootchie has been reduced to £35 - its a special offer to clear stocks so be quick. Its the olive green varierty.

Also they are doing hootchie cord £10, 4x4m thin guy line & 1x7m thick ridge line.

Hope thats of interest :)

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
"Two great peoples separated by a common language."

Hootchie Cootchie (a dance), Hootchie Mama (a "hot" woman), Hootchie Devil (a fishing lure than "dances").

What do YOU folk mean by "hootchie"? Some sort of shelter? (Just when I figured out that "basha" thingee. :roll: )

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
TAHAWK said:
"Two great peoples separated by a common language."

Hootchie Cootchie (a dance), Hootchie Mama (a "hot" woman), Hootchie Devil (a fishing lure than "dances").

What do YOU folk mean by "hootchie"? Some sort of shelter? (Just when I figured out that "basha" thingee. :roll: )

Dont worry, I'm confused too. I think basha is a Brit army word for an improvised tent or shelter. I'm struggling with the root for it, but it's my guess that it's probably been assimilated into common use army parlance from the Brit army's time in burma/india/china.

Hootch is the following...

Hootch: Used generically, a dwelling. On a U.S. base, a hootch was usually a rectangular building made of 2 x 4's and plywood with a corrugated tin roof. Also used in reference to Vietnamese civilian houses.

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
Martyn said:
Hootch is the following...

Hootch: Used generically, a dwelling. On a U.S. base, a hootch was usually a rectangular building made of 2 x 4's and plywood with a corrugated tin roof. Also used in reference to Vietnamese civilian houses.

"Hootch" ( not to be confused with "hooch") I recognize. So "hootchie" is the diminutive of "hootch"? A small "shack"? :lol:

And "Ausi"?

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Don't know about hootchie but 'basha' is from the Urdu for hut/native house.

It's interesting to note the persistence of Hindi/Urdu words in British army slang, even now, long after Indian/Pakistani independence. I remember our RSM (from the Scots Guards) used to shout 'Get moving -JALDI!' (jaldi being Hindi for quickly).

Interestingly, 'tickety-boo' is also Hindi - from 'Thiik hai, babu' ('That's fine, sir.)

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Hootchie , Tarp , Basha & Flysheet are all different terms for the same thing really - a rectangle of material that has various loops, fastners and eyelets around the edge.

Doesnt matter really what term you use, its all pretty much the same thing.

Hope that clears things up :)

H

Hawkram

Ordered one at 10-15am yesterday, delivered 8am this morning.
Can't beat that for service.

In my opinion Woodlore :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE