Woodlore Fundamental Bushcraft course: What do you think?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Willowisp

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2013
Reutlingen, Germany
Hi there,

I'm currently pondering going to one of Woodlore's "fundamental bushcraft courses" this spring. Having read several books, followed maaaany youtube videos and tried out a lot in my home woods by myself, I'm now looking for some hands on training with the masters.
As I'd travel there from Germany I'd like to know whether it's worthwile making the investment for course and trip. From what I have read so far it seems to be fairly good.

Do you have any recent experience with the course and can give me some advice?

Thank you!

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I did the junior version and learnt a huge amount and was set on a life long passion for all things bushcrafty, it was 14 years ago though. Im sure the standard of training is still as good. Although I understand that one of the instructors at the time (a guy called Ben McNut) has his own school called Woodsmoke so your going to get something similar for a little less ££'s.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
There's many great bushcraft schools in England and I've even seen a few here in the Netherlands. I'd be surprised if there weren't any in Deutschland, but I do not know if they are as professional or knowledgable as the woodlore school.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Maybe because almost all the bushcrafty programmes you've ever seen were in English? In that case I know the feeling;)

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
I've went on a Woodlore Fundamental course a few years ago and thought it excellent if a little expensive. However some of the instructing staff that were on my Fundamental (and subsequent Woodlore courses) now work at Frontier Bushcraft and I'd think I'd go there now. Have a look here: http://frontierbushcraft.com/courses/elementary-wilderness-bushcraft/ I'm not saying that there are not good instructors at Woodlore now but I know that there are excellent staff at Frontier. I hasten to add that I've no connection to Frontier and have no axe to grind with Woodlore.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Re what copperhead says below ; Ben and his wife Lisa do indeed have their own bushcraft school (Woodsmoke) in the English Lake District. Not only was Ben an instructor for RM but he also drew the line drawings in Uncle Ray's book.I have been on a Woodsmoke course and was very impressed at the massive wealth of knowledge that Ben and the other instructors (some also ex-RMears) carry in their heads.The course was enormous fun and the instruction was patient , detailed and professional.I will be booking another course this year as they are only 15 miles from my home.No connection etc just a very pleased customer.I unreservedly recommend them.
Looking at the Woodlore prices , I'd advise you to come over to the Lakes and do two courses with Woodsmoke instead!
Cheers , Simon

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I did the junior version and learnt a huge amount and was set on a life long passion for all things bushcrafty, it was 14 years ago though. Im sure the standard of training is still as good. Although I understand that one of the instructors at the time (a guy called Ben McNut) has his own school called Woodsmoke so your going to get something similar for a little less ££'s.

And another of the old Woodlore instructors is Paul Kirtley who now does Frontier Bushcraft, also very good. I've been on courses with Paul and find him a superb instructor. His courses have less people on them (max 12), are a bit cheaper and also give you time to breathe whereas I understand Woodlore is very full-on all the time.

Willowisp

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2013
Reutlingen, Germany
Hi folks,

thank you very much for all your advice so far! I will have a good look at the alternatives before I decide. I will also take my wife with me to the course, because I could convince her that bushcraft is fuuuun (yes, I know, I'm lucky :))
A little time to breathe between the "lectures" and fewer people in the in the group is certainly welcome. I'll take this into consideration.

More input always welcome!

Cheers
Willow

ally

Forager
Oct 15, 2003
lincoln
the courses are really good and +1 for ben mcnutt, lovely guy and a passion for wild foods (ask about the fungi fiasco......)

used his logo for a tattoo (with permission)

:)

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
If its breathing time you want, then the woodlore course might be too busy for you. The fundamental is not a course where you get time to be bored. rest assured,you would get a fair amount of input for your money.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...A little time to breathe between the "lectures" and fewer people in the in the group is certainly welcome..."

It has been years since I attended the fundamental course, it wasn't all lectures, you are kept busy doing things, lots of things, all at once and that was one of the strengths of the course, it makes you think, it makes you learn to use your time constructively, If you'd rather sit around a camp fire having a natter then this isn't the course for you.

With that said, I don't know any of the instructors who work with Woodlore these days, Paul Kirtley who used to be the course leader at Woodlore ran a few of the courses I attended there and I'd probably choose his company over any others, I have a good friend who has attended a few Woodsmoke courses and he speaks very highly of them.

It isn't always about the instructor though, I didn't like the chap who ran my fundamental however his assistants were great, one of whom now works at Bushcraft Expeditions (another school to look at), the course material and structure worked well I thought, that and the three people in my 'team' made for a great week. It might be handy to know that (at least on my Fundamental) the three people you are standing next to at the 'pick up point' are probably the three you will have to work with through the week, that may no longer be the case though as on the Journeyman the teams were selected by some hidden process.

Whatever course or school you choose, have fun.

:)

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I have done a Woodlore Fundamental but reckon that Bushcraft Expeditions' Foundation Course to be better. Andy Wood and his team provide an excellent, full course covering everything that the Woodlore course does but adding in a range of extra bits and bobs. Although I did both courses a little while ago, I believe that Woody's course is cheaper, too.

I have heard great things of Ben McNutt's courses but have yet to try one out.

As ever, I've no association with... tum-te-tum, I was just a very happy customer.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Not done any of the Woodlore courses, so can't comment on them, but have done several courses with Frontier Bushcraft and have found them to be great. Once I've got some cash and time I'll be back to them to learn some more. No affiliation.

There is a podcast by Paul Kirtley from Frontier that's worth a listen too to give you an idea of the guy.

Their style of teaching is very accessible and just seems to have more about it. It's not just 'do this and do that', it's all backed up with why you do it that way and the benefits over other methods. It's also based not far from Gatwick Airport in a lovely bit of Sussex countryside.

We have a small bushcraft group who meet up once a month in Sussex, if we've got a meet on when you are about, why not pop your head in and say hello. Bring a mug and a tea bag and have a brew too. You'll find us here we are the Sussex group.

extremeds

Aug 8, 2010
essex
Hi I just stumbled across this thread, and it grabbed my attention! thought id give a mention about a school I have been with on a similar course to this. It was with the Guys at Wilderness Survival Skills Run by Joe O'Leary. My girlfirend at the time signed me up, and having not been on any courses in bushcraft before i was a bit nervous of what to expect! but it was brilliant! i spent 5 days in the woods tuning into nature, learning how to build a shelter and then live in it overnight, learn how to purify water and spend a whole day only drinking our own purified water. We learned how to make fire with the bow drill technique and we all got fire going! we dabbled with spoon carving, natural navigation, cordage making and foraging. And the food was amazing! proper hearty food, most based around wild meats or fish and all done on the open fire or in dutch ovens on the fire!! It was an amazing 5 days and an experience i wont forget! I wholeheartedly would recommend them.

here's their website link if you like the sound of it http://www.wilderness-survival.co.uk/wilderness-awakening/

they have a few more courses continuing on from this one too! they look great!

dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE