Wooden tube tinders - awesome heat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
As part of my experimenting with tube tinders I tried creating a tube out of 3 split logs, so I had a tube with a triangular cross section.

Version 1 "Solid wood ignition tinder" I held it together with my hands having stuffed it with shredded leaves and twigs and packed the end with a coal extender. Having added an ignited piece of char cloth I blew down the tube to extend the coal into the shredded stuff. The result was dramatic. One of the first things that caught fire was the inner surface of the wooden tube. Now that wood was at least 2 inches thick and yet there is was flaming away direct from tinder. Awesome! Tubes are amazing at concentrating the heat.

Version 2, aimed as "Lazy man's tinder", (without the blowing) was the same construction but packed a little tighter and bound with cordage. I then tied it vertical with the extender/ charcloth at the bottom. They were wedged in so as to reduce the chance of them falling out. I then just ignited the char cloth and waited. It did not go out and over literally half an hour it worked through the tube before finally bursting into flames.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
I can see my weekend's going to be quite busy playing with these ideas ;) Thanks Richard.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE