woodcarving knife/ves for beginner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
Well, I've had a look at "The little book of whittling" and have just been given "Art & Technique of Scandinavian Style Woodcarving".

I've managed pretty well with my Mora but my first attempt at a spoon (well just a small scoop really) has shown me that I could probably use a hook knife for this sort of thing.

I've seen some slyod knives (120SB and double edge hook knife) (link here) which are tempting, but before I buy I thought I'd ask the more experienced here for your thoughts.

I don't want to spend a lot of money as I'm just 'having a go' and might not want to continue long term, but I'm also aware that 'having a go' with the wrong tools can put you off trying a second time.

Any suggestions gratefully received :)

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Well, I've had a look at "The little book of whittling" and have just been given "Art & Technique of Scandinavian Style Woodcarving".

I've managed pretty well with my Mora but my first attempt at a spoon (well just a small scoop really) has shown me that I could probably use a hook knife for this sort of thing.

I've seen some slyod knives (120SB and double edge hook knife) (link here) which are tempting, but before I buy I thought I'd ask the more experienced here for your thoughts.

I don't want to spend a lot of money as I'm just 'having a go' and might not want to continue long term, but I'm also aware that 'having a go' with the wrong tools can put you off trying a second time.

Any suggestions gratefully received :)

Hello there, I've never bought a hook knife although I've tried some commercial ones and to be honest, didn't like them much.
I'm left handed and unless I spent a fair amount of money, there wasn't really much that suited me.
I tried the frosts knives, no idea what the code numbers were but one was like an ordinary sloyd knife that had been curved round and still had the point on it and the other was the double sided one. I wouldn't buy either one myself and decided to have a go at making my own.
I think you'll probably be ok with the frosts knives, plenty of people on here use them to very good effect with few, if any, complaints.
Of course Robin and Nichola Wood have set away a hook knife pass around, so maybe you could join in with that?

If you want any advice on knocking up your own just let me know, I'll help you if I can
This was the last one I made:
resizedlftcrookknife2.jpg

P3110004copyresized.jpg

best wishes
R.B. EDIT: There you go:D

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
The Frost sloyd knives are good and I would recomend them. Look at the thread doctor spoon linked to I have put my thoughts on the passaround thread

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
Thanks guys - I knew I should ask before parting with my money :)

Very kind offer RB - but I think I'm a way off making my own knife for now. However, I may take you up on it at a later date :D

The passaround looks like a really great idea Dr Spoon, I'm not sure how useful my input would be though as I've got nothing to compare the tools to. Maybe that would make my comments unbiased or maybe it would make them ungrounded, I really don't want to take the opportunity away from someone else either.

From what I can tell, you are used to dealing with total beginners so if you feel my input would be beneficial then I'll stick my name down.

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE