Wood turning tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'm possibly getting a lathe if every thing goes to plan so I need to start looking for some tools. I'm not sure where to get them from. I don't want to spend to much if I can help it but I know you get what you pay for.

What sort of basic set of tools should I get?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I was told the basic tools are as follows (in order of priority):
Bowl gouge
Spindle gouge
Roughing gouge
Parting tool
Skew chisel

Certainly you can do most things with just a bowl gouge and a spindle gouge, but as with everything, the more tools you have the more you use. In the main though I just use the top 4 in that list.

Second hand tools are usually fine, and are probably a good place to start. Sharp tools are more important than getting high quality tools, but make sure that you buy tools suitable for a powered lathe. Those for use on a treadle or pole lathe are not suitable at all.

Axminster tools will be a good place to start if you are looking to buy from new, and will give you a fair idea of what is available.

Hope that helps.

skate

Nomad
Apr 13, 2010
East Devon
Always get the best you can afford. Cheap woodturning tools can be an accident waiting to happen.
Sorby, Crown, Ashley Illes or Henry Taylor make good quality tools. Axminster have a range of their own brand which are cheap but quite good.
To get started you could probably make do with about 5 or 6 tools. Many tools can be made yourself. Mainly scraping tools which can be formed from old wood chisels and files.
Axminster do a set of 6 tools for £71.50 which would be fine. A bench grinder is also vital but do some research on what wheels to use on it. A normal one will overheat the tool and weaken it.
Get hold of an Axminster tools catalogue it's full of good woodturning kit and read "Woodturning A foundation course" by Keith Rowley.
I joined a local woodturning club which was a massive help if you don't mind hanging out with a load of old men :lmao:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Always get the best you can afford. Cheap woodturning tools can be an accident waiting to happen.
Sorby, Crown, Ashley Illes or Henry Taylor make good quality tools. Axminster have a range of their own brand which are cheap but quite good.
To get started you could probably make do with about 5 or 6 tools. Many tools can be made yourself. Mainly scraping tools which can be formed from old wood chisels and files.
Axminster do a set of 6 tools for £71.50 which would be fine. A bench grinder is also vital but do some research on what wheels to use on it. A normal one will overheat the tool and weaken it.
Get hold of an Axminster tools catalogue it's full of good woodturning kit and read "Woodturning A foundation course" by Keith Rowley.
I joined a local woodturning club which was a massive help if you don't mind hanging out with a load of old men :lmao:

All of that is excellent advice.

Bundleman

Forager
Jan 17, 2012
Woodbridge, Suffolk
Fair play.
To start with you'll only need...
large skew chisel 1.1/4"
small skew chisel 1/2"
roughing out gouge 3/4"
Bowl gouge 1/2"

Scrapers are the work of the devil!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE