wood spirits

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
I have seen pictures on here of carved wood spirits and metnion that they represent good luck.
They have been carved on living trees, bits of branches, walking sticks etc.
My question for those that are up on the folk law surrounding them, is there any where or any place you should not carve one in case it means bad luck or something.
I would like to have a go and have an idea but would hate to post a picture only to find out that was an inappropriate place to carve one.
Thanks

I have seen pictures on here of carved wood spirits and metnion that they represent good luck.
They have been carved on living trees, bits of branches, walking sticks etc.
My question for those that are up on the folk law surrounding them, is there any where or any place you should not carve one in case it means bad luck or something.
I would like to have a go and have an idea but would hate to post a picture only to find out that was an inappropriate place to carve one.
Thanks

A church...(unless it's a 500 year old greenman!):lmao:

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Theres a large wood near where i live and ive found a few wood spirits that have been carved by someone,not as some sort of sculpture thing though..They are just there!.I love finding them!I cant think of anywhere that they shouldnt be carved though..commonsence should prevail i hope!

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
First concern would be to not carve anywhere that you do not have specific permission - either your own land or where you have asked the owner. Legally it could/would be considered Vandalism - with all associated penalties.

After that it comes down to a mental ... feeling ... about how right or wrong it might be in any specific area. And that's hard to describe.

Just my humble thoughts to share. Take them as such

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I like the idea of carving them in woods to be found by folk, but really like mike said you should really seek permission.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Well if it is bad luck to damage yew then the woodspirits hopfully make up for it ;)

IMAG0112.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE