Wood identification???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I'll admit it.. I'm totally carp at identifying wood and trees by their bark.

Had a look through a couple of books with no luck then realised the fastest way to get a decent answer would be to put it up here.

Hedeby_Box-1.jpg

Riam (Red Fox) gave me this to make a lid for a new Viking box I'm making but I was wondering what kind of wood it is.

Any ideas?

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
My first thought would be Elm, Wayland. If Red Fox knows his wood, then Elm would make sense for box making. There's quite a few species, but looking at the bark and the end grain my guess would be Elm of some kind.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Have a look at some field maple, Acer campestre, looks similar to that (looking at the picture on my phone anyway)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Have a look at some field maple, Acer campestre, looks similar to that (looking at the picture on my phone anyway)

I'd go with Lou on it being field maple.

Elm usually has a darker heartwood than the sapwood whereas FM is more a uniform light colour throughout like the log you've got

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
It's not Elm i don't think, wood is too light as said.. Any chance of a pic of the end grain Gary?

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2016
Sussex
Hi.Looks like a massive bit of Holly from the picture. The wood is very pale.I made some splitting wedges from a log a while ago.Its best worked green as it can be extremely hard. Would need to see the grain though. If the rings are really tight Holly.

pedrodog66

Jun 9, 2014
Dalgety Bay
If it's not elm then perhaps ash as it's lighter but the box didn't look like it had an open grain or perhaps it's sycamore which has a grain pattern like maple but is lighter in colour....

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Field Maple is my guess. Though the bark is similar to Elm, which was my immediate guess, the light wood suggests Maple. Elm at that size is quite rare now, and makes lousy firewood.

I've never seen Holly or Sycamore with bark like that. Holly is smooth and silvery grey, Sycamore similar unless mature and scaly.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Interesting for field maple as I know it can change from tree to tree but it's not like field maple I have in my woods.
Certainly not holly, the only elm I'm familiar with is wych elm, images below but, bark can change with the age of a tree, ash is a great example of this.

WP_20160622_17_09_03_Pro.jpg WP_20160621_17_18_21_Pro.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE