Wood ID please!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi all, I have just been given some off cuts of some large branches or small trunks that have been sitting in father in laws shed for several years.

He has no idea what species of tree they are from and my googling has come to nothing.
Any idea what they might be as although completely dry I expect I can carve something from them.

0908c7580a0e5062eb502d496011734e.jpg

264b67fbed948ab2eb02dad5c441e857.jpg

56abc8c5e9fb500e0866fbcf01138a7b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
It's speculation, but could it be Ash?
It certainly looks like it by the bark ...

Only going by the bark and grain is really difficult to ascertain with confidence though.

... any chance to find out where it came from ? If your father in law knows where , seeing the stump will definitely help as small saplings will probably surround it or even emerge from the stump itself...

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Weight in hand will give it away. If it is something oak or hornbeam it will weight a lot. .6 - .9 SG. If its lime it will be very, very light.

Bark might help too, if its very fibrous and the inner pulls off in long strips then lime.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Weight in hand will give it away. If it is something oak or hornbeam it will weight a lot. .6 - .9 SG. If its lime it will be very, very light.

Bark might help too, if its very fibrous and the inner pulls off in long strips then lime.

I am none the wiser, its fairly light in the hand but a few good whacks with my froe did little other than put a dent in the end of the round. Not sure it helps that it is very dry

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
They are all through the end grain on the top pic. It's one of the reasons i said the wood looked like oak. Others were colour, and ring density. That piece is around 28 years old. And doesn't look too big.

Last edited:

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Quite right, I totally missed that...
Well done !
Well that's that then... I don't know any other timber that gets those so I think thats settled it for the OP.

Its for this and other reasons I love this forum, doesn't matter how difficult question, or how unlikely to get an answer , and bam! There it is... somebody always comes up with the goods...

Top banana

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE