womens boots recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Hey everyone need some help with boots for swmbo. We're off on a long overseas trip soon and she needs some decent boots to see her through work and trekking everyday. she wants them to be leather and calf height and good quality so price is not an issue at the moment. We have searched through the net, mainly on surplus websites as she is happy to go with military boots but could really do with some recommendations from people with first hand experience on good quality boots

any help would be great
cheers
Hamish

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What season ?
The reason I ask is that some of my boots cook my feet in anything but bitter cold weather, while the old fashioned plain leather ones get wet and don't dry out quickly but are brilliantly comfortable all year round.

atb,
M

Dreadhead

What season ?
The reason I ask is that some of my boots cook my feet in anything but bitter cold weather, while the old fashioned plain leather ones get wet and don't dry out quickly but are brilliantly comfortable all year round.

atb,
M

oh yeah sorry these will be for spring-summer and possibly autumn. we are both going with cold weather boots and warm weather boots. she has norwegian felt snow shoes for when it is freezing. so needs leather boots, preferably without any liners, in the warmer climate for walking and working that will breathe

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Leather boots with no liners won't be easy to find unless she's happy with Docs or some of the no support, no grip, hippy boots. Some of the old fashioned army cadet boots might do ? No, wait a minute, the RAF kids had better ones, the lad who lived further down the street was boasting about them a couple of years ago.
My feet are pretty small, I bought kid's Hi-Tecs, plain black leather and they've been brilliant. Three of my friends have bought them too over the years and we all like them. Not calf high though.

Interested to hear what the final purchase is and how the boots work out though :D

cheers,
M

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Remember that DM's are fashion trendy town shoes, not sure how they will stand up to hiking in natural terrain; they arn't waterproof either,even walking through dewy grass, the water will just flood in through the welt stitching.

Dreadhead

Remember that DM's are fashion trendy town shoes, not sure how they will stand up to hiking in natural terrain; they arn't waterproof either,even walking through dewy grass, the water will just flood in through the welt stitching.

yup pretty much what i said to her. will keep looking to try and find something more suitable but its her feet so whatever she is happy with

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A couple of years ago my daughter and her fiancé took a trip into the Smokies in winter. We got her a pair of insulated Wolverines that did her well. They weren't women's boots per se, we just let her try on the smaller sizes of men's boots until she found a pair that fit. Her oldest son wears them now.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
How does she feel about the M77´s?
I´ve had two pairs over the last 6 years and find them very comfortable even in summertime.

Lyope

Tenderfoot
Sep 6, 2012
London
www.lyope.com
Speaking as both a gurl and as an owner of both Doc Martens and Alt-Bergs, I've got to tell you - stay away from the DMs for proper (i.e. off road) walking.

I own several pairs of DMs for gadding about in the city (I'm a native Londoner) and I'd no more think about wearing them in the bush as I would do a pair of Converse. They're totally unsuited for the job - even the ones that *look* like clompy army boots.

I'm currently 'breaking in' a pair of these Alt-Bergs Warrior Boots:

72330%206.jpg

(From Silvermans)

They're current issue and I say 'breaking in' because they are comfortable from day one; Army issue footwear that's designed to be drawn from the stores and hit the ground with no further work - bloody brilliant. Alt-berg do a female-specific boot, as well - no messing about with boots made on lasts designed around blokes with small feet.

If you're going somewhere warmer, they do desert boots, jungle boots and 'sneeker' boots which are lighter and possibly more suited to where you're going.

Although I bought mine in London, I considered a trip to the factory shop for a custom fitting, but fortunately I seem to be the person who British Army boots were designed for, so I'm good with a 'medium' fit for my size.

Anyway - check them out, they're British and I don't think you can buy better.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
It would be very foolish to simply buy a pair online. If you are using them for nearly daily use whilst away; you need to make sure they fit properly. I would strongly suggest you go to somewhere such as Cotswold outdoors, have your feet measured and try on multiple pairs to see which is most comfortable.

Dreadhead

thanks for the advice here, it really helps. I agree buying boots online really is not ideal we are hoping she can try boots on when she decides what is right for her. with boots it always seems it is like the search for the holy grail

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE