Wolf on the loose

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thats a shame poor things. Hope they get chance to dart the last one.
I imagine the impact on the pack will be awful.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What a shame :(

Seems odd that they were shot unless they presented a risk in some way? Either way hope they get the last one back

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
When the wolves escaped from Cardigan Wildlife Park (many years ago) they too were shot ....
Mainly as they were on their way home as they were hungry and had no idea of how to hunt!
Knee jerk reaction to "dangerous" animals I guess...

Jazz006

Jun 7, 2013
Dundee
When the wolves escaped from Cardigan Wildlife Park (many years ago) they too were shot ....
Mainly as they were on their way home as they were hungry and had no idea of how to hunt!
Knee jerk reaction to "dangerous" animals I guess...

Very much doubt they had to shoot them, could have darted them instead . What a waste of a great animal.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
How would people suggest that they are caught? The tranquilisers take 15mins to work, and may not on stressed out animals.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
We have no idea what circumstances lead to the wolves having to be shot. I do know if the poor scared and "unpredictable" animal was running towards my little lads school grounds I would not want to rely on its usual state of mind. Out in the middle of nowhere i would like to think they tried all other options first.
The real shame is they managed to get out in the first place but being as bright as they are I imagine its a constant battle to keep them contained. I just hope it something near impossible to predict rather than carelessness.
Captivity and its effects on conservation is a discussion for a fire and a beer!

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
the last one's been shot i'm afraid

A wolf which had escaped from a zoo has been shot dead following a massive search.

The animal was reported missing from Colchester Zoo in Essex at about 8am. The Zoo confirmed that following a search working alongside Essex Police, the animal had been killed shortly after 4pm.

Keepers discovered that five wolves had left their enclosure through a damaged fence during a morning inspection. All but one were accounted for, although two had to be shot dead.

A zoo spokesman added: "Colchester Zoo's keepers have been devastated by the loss of two of their beloved timber wolves.

"It was discovered that the perimeter fence to Colchester Zoo's wolf enclosure had been damaged and five of the six timber wolves had left the enclosure.

"One of the wolves returned immediately of its own accord and one was darted and recaptured.

"Unfortunately, as they were further away and an anaesthetic dart takes 15 minutes to take effect, two had to be shot.

"They are wild animals and in an unpredictable situation they would have posed a risk to the public. The remaining wolf has now been located and very sadly also had to be destroyed

Last edited:

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thats a shame poor things. Hope they get chance to dart the last one.
I imagine the impact on the pack will be awful.

Too right! Dear souls ...

Just seen the last one was shot ... at least he's in the summerlands with his brothers and sisters. They don't live well alone when their family is killed. It seems we are far more of a risk to them than they to us, even if they are escaped prisoners ... I really do not like the human race :cussing::aargh4:

Last edited:

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Too right! Dear souls ...

Just seen the last one was shot ... at least he's in the summerlands with his brothers and sisters. They don't live well alone when their family is killed. It seems we are far more of a risk to them than they to us, even if they are escaped prisoners ... I really do not like the human race :cussing::aargh4:

I so agree.

:(

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
The blame for this one lies firmly with the zoo. They claim to have checked the enclosure every day. Unless the animals were taking it in shifts I doubt very much that they broke through in 24 hrs or less.

Last edited:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I was unaware that a report had been released saying the zoo had not checked the fence, so I cant see how the zoo can be blamed yet, it is possible the fence got damaged between inspections over night, it has happened before in 1986 when rain eroded some ground under the fence and they escaped.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I was unaware that a report had been released saying the zoo had not checked the fence, so I cant see how the zoo can be blamed yet, it is possible the fence got damaged between inspections over night, it has happened before in 1986 when rain eroded some ground under the fence and they escaped.

Even without the weather to blame can you imagine how strong the jaws are on a Timber-wolf, weighing in at 90lb? and bright with it. Amazing creatures.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE