Gap tree felled!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Yeah, to be that mad at something that you go out and carry felling gear in the middle of the night.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
How can anyone 'be mad' at an old tree in the middle of nowhere?
The lack of respect of life that old is depressing and worrying :(
There's a couple near here, moved in a few years ago, who want to cut down a two hundred year old tree (not on their land) because he has to sweep the leaves up every year!

Reactions: Herman30

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That was my thought too :sigh:
Someone mad at folks parking, or walking, or just accessing the site.

It's on National Trust land, but the NT don't own the local roads, etc., but they make money from the car parks.

Of course, we could be totally mistaken.....

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It was an accident m'lord. I meant to cut Major Oak down but didn't know where it was!

It'll sucker up again with care surely? A few more hundred years and it'll be forgotten except for a funny shaped stump and another story to tell about it.

Seriously though, roads and selfish drivers are an issue in places up there. If that's the reason then keep an eye out for explosives at vindolanda or other hadrians wall sites!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I'm speechless!
Why on earth would a young schoolkids want to destroy the tree of the year. Their heritage?
More importantly, how did he get his hands on a chainsaw?
He could have seriously injured himself, or others that might have been with him. (Doubt it was a solo effort, or that he was wearing proper protective gear, or even had a chainsaw operator's qualification)
Vandalism of this sort needs making a real example of.
Councils that do it, too!
We need our trees!

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
I am in danger of going on a rant here but there is a whole topic of trees in general that is getting completely avoided or obscured by sentimental attachment to one single photogenic tree that is at best a temporary feature on the landscape.
Am always saddened by mindless vandalism, my point is however that trees are not constant but ever changing, the bigger vandalism is the fact that we have so little woodland and forest across all 4 nations in the UK and very little of that is native or natural.

Reactions: Macaroon and Stew

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I'm also very angry about the number of trees and ancient woodlands that have been felled in the name of progress, that saves 20 minutes on a train journey...hs2!
So many people trying to plant woodlands that will take years to establish properly, and then large amounts of established trees are cut down for new roads....have you seen the mess on the A303?
Hundreds of life giving trees and hedges ripped away for our need to save a few minutes on a journey to the south west for holiday makers in their cars.
=less oxygen more pollution.
I just don't understand the (supposed) logic.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE