With one wee knife :) photo heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Yeahh :D That's certainly the article I remember :cool:
Many thanks for finding this, much appreciated.

cheers,
Toddy

Not a problem :D I thought it a good article when I first saw it too, and wonder why on earth I hadn't bookmarked it!

Pete

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
Good post Toddy. I like your knife. I sometimes carry a PFK= Pocket
fixed blade about that size. By the way I just got a custom bushcraft
can you imagine a Texan with a bushcrafter. but I did get a stag Handel

Mountainwalker

Forager
Oct 30, 2008
Sydney
Recently purchased a Helle Besseggen (80 mm length) with a large curly birch handle. It was the smallest Helle I could find in Australia. Not had much opportunity to use it but I suspect it will become a favourite. Nice and compact, fits into the pack easily, and looks nice and sturdy.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
" By the way I just got a custom bushcraft
can you imagine a Texan with a bushcrafter. but I did get a stag Handel "

Cool, who made it ? :D

I have about seven knives of this size. They do everything I ask of them, and do so reliably without fuss or bother. All keep a good edge and are easy to keep sharp just by stropping.
I have smaller knives and they too get a lot of use, generally they're the ones I prefer for wet work since their handles are not going to damage if soaked for long.

Sometimes I really don't get the appeal of a *big* knife. The folks who had no option but to live a hunter gatherer lifestyle didn't have big knives and they managed fine.
The only time they went big was as a spear point and even then firehardened wood works well.

Actually, there's one instance when a big blade is needed and that's a flencing knife for cutting up whales.

The Scandinavian Leuku and pukko set up is good though, and I do like my billhook, but the little 4" sickle Jojo make me gets much more use.

cheers,
Toddy

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
What do you think of this
osage.jpg

It started life as a ball-bearing, blade 55mm !

I know the maker so I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to his site ?

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
" By the way I just got a custom bushcraft
can you imagine a Texan with a bushcrafter. but I did get a stag Handel "

Cool, who made it ? :D

I have about seven knives of this size. They do everything I ask of them, and do so reliably without fuss or bother. All keep a good edge and are easy to keep sharp just by stropping.
I have smaller knives and they too get a lot of use, generally they're the ones I prefer for wet work since their handles are not going to damage if soaked for long.

Sometimes I really don't get the appeal of a *big* knife. The folks who had no option but to live a hunter gatherer lifestyle didn't have big knives and they managed fine.
The only time they went big was as a spear point and even then firehardened wood works well.

Actually, there's one instance when a big blade is needed and that's a flencing knife for cutting up whales.

The Scandinavian Leuku and pukko set up is good though, and I do like my billhook, but the little 4" sickle Jojo make me gets much more use.

cheers,
Toddy
A custom maker by the name of R Lions lives about 75 miles from
me I showed him this forum and he looked the knives over
Then made me this one it is 8in overall with 1/8 thick 4in blade of 154cm
I will be making the sheath my self. I will have a friend post pic's
when I am finished

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It'll be good to see what his take on them is :D and your leather work too.

I know we talk of the practicalities of the knives we use, for the uses we make of them, but I sometimes wonder how much is a cultural thing ?

cheers,
Toddy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cracking post Toddy. Enjoyed it and :thumbup: for posting up pictures.
I'm with you on smaller blades, though when I was younger I liked big gleaming things I soon grew to love little usefull blades. Kind've makes me think of how the record shows our forebares going from big clods of flint to little micro flint blades as they learnt to manipulate their medium better.
I've a collection of little wickedly sharp pen knives that are a joy to use.
Sounds like a good idea about you doing a series of posts on ickle blades. :D

Sent via smokesignal from a woodland in Scotland.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Showed my wee Helle Nying last month, got one comment. Why is the Polar so much more interesting?

My thread's two years old though :) the Polar was simply the knife I was using at the time. More recently it's been one by Mark Hill…..and if Eric ever finishes the sheath for the wee one Stew made then I might get a chance to play with that one too :approve:

When I originally posted the thread there had been a rash of posts on 'huge' knives. Each to their own really, but I reckon it depends entirely on your skillset and what you actually do.

Apart from my kitchen, the only 'big' knife I own is a heuk (grass sickle). Everything else the wee ones do just fine :D

Very few people can carry a big knife around and not feel a bit hmmm ??? in this busy country. The wee ones are discreet, to hand, perform beyond their apparant lack of size and generally are of more use.
The bigger ones have their adherants, but on the whole I reckon very few of them actually get used.
I mean the knives larger than the standard bushy ones there.

Those who advocate the big ones kind of push the whole survival thing. I don't do 'survival!!", I just use my knife as a good tool for a myriad of tasks :) and if something really is too big for my wee knife, then I have a laplander, a bowsaw and a couple of blooming good axes :D

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE