With one wee knife :) photo heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Noticing the plethora of reviews recently of 'big' knives, I thought some photos of a wee one in use wouldn't go amiss :D

Helle Polar, 70mm, triple laminated stainless steel, tanged blade.
Nice everyday knife, comfortable in the hand, easy to use and sharpen, keeps a good edge, I made the feather sticks without doing anything to the blade after battoning.......sorry no shaving, mother nature didn't provide enough arm hair for it to show :rolleyes:
I strop it and then put it in it's sheath when I'm finished.

The log is a bit of bone dry pine from the last meet up. Took me about five minutes in total.

IMG_8975.JPG

IMG_8976.JPG

IMG_8977.JPG

The log coggled at this one so I left it and went for the other side knowing I'd get the first side later.

IMG_8978.JPG

Once the cut is made a wedge battoned in helps break apart even the most stubborn of logs :)

IMG_8979.JPG

IMG_8980.JPG
:D
Kindling ! :D

IMG_8982.JPG

Feather sticks, and small splints

IMG_8985.JPG

Stropping to tidy up.

IMG_8986.JPG

Knife in sheath :)

This link shows the blade......I don't know the company, has anyone bought from them ?
http://www.moonrakerknives.co.uk/helle.htm

cheers,
Toddy

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Way cool Toddy! The Helle Polar has long been one of my favorites. My most used knife. I wear it around the neck at home most of the time and use it as a general utility knife. Don't know what I like about it so much but it just fits my hand well. And cuts very very well. :) Don't think I've ever hit it with a baton though.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks Hoodoo :D I must admit to being very fond of this wee knife. It's just 'right' somehow.

Was it not yourself who posted the thread on battoning safely with a tanged blade ? Explaining why they could break if not done properly ?

cheers,
M

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i like the look of those blades! wouldn't mind getting one and sorting a handle for it. definite project right there.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Aye, a good wee knife that you know how to use is better than all the big "butch" cutlery going.:)

Very eloquent support for centuries of Northern know how and good pictures too.

Cheers.:)

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
What determines edge retention for small stainless knives like this?

Is the the amount of prep work that goes into it before hand? My stainless Mora Clipper doesn't seem to stay anything near shaving sharp after a session of battoning, but I guess that's due to the way the edge is set up?

Any ways to improve edge retention outside the obvious attention to correct sharpening?

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Thanks Hoodoo :D I must admit to being very fond of this wee knife. It's just 'right' somehow.

Was it not yourself who posted the thread on battoning safely with a tanged blade ? Explaining why they could break if not done properly ?

cheers,
M

Doesn't sound like me. :D My philosophy on batoning is to tap the knife, not SMACK it. And whenever possible, I use an axe or hatchet for splitting and often use a baton on a small hatchet. And I'm a big believer in carving wooden wedges. So I might start a split with a hatchet or knife, but finish it with a wedge, just like you posted above.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Toddy, I have long been disappointed that Helle no longer makes this knife. I would be totally bummed if I lost mine, but I usually don't take it away from home so there's not much chance of losing it. And I generally don't abuse it so there's not much chance of destroying it. Still, a person could always use a spare. :D Maybe they will bring it back.

Now speaking of wee knives, this one has been getting a lot of carry around the house lately. My Helle Polar has been kind of jealous. :eek:

roselli_grandmother1b.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Doesn't sound like me. :D My philosophy on batoning is to tap the knife, not SMACK it. And whenever possible, I use an axe or hatchet for splitting and often use a baton on a small hatchet. And I'm a big believer in carving wooden wedges. So I might start a split with a hatchet or knife, but finish it with a wedge, just like you posted above.

Much under rated tool, a good wedge :approve: a decent rocket will break apart the biggest log.

It was a really good tutorial. I think I need to go search it out.:)

cheers,
M

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
nice. :cool:

a bit spenny for me though, i want a smaller knife and was thinking of getting an opinel number 5 but to be honest i would like a full tang for exactly this kind of work. can anybody recommend a cheaper equivalent to this bonny wee helle?

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
seriously though, i just noticed that the blade itself is only £14 bucks. maybe there is a reason to get of me bum and learn to be less kack handed at woodwork...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
To be honest Rob, I'd recommend buying the blade blank and fitting your own handle. £14.95 delivered for a knife that has had a tremendous amount of use, doing everything from firewood to skinning and it's still looking pretty much like new, isn't bad.

Wallenstein, I don't know. I do know that my knives get sharpened once in a blue moon ( I confess, usually only when Graham_S or Warthog1981 are sitting looking idle :eek:.......like 'that' happens often :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) I do strop them before putting them away though :cool:
Might be a very good question to ask in the Edged Tools :)

Sandbender et al, thank you :D I've finally learned how to post photos :approve:

Border Riever, I have to agree, I'm just too small and not strong enough to wield a big chunk of steel around all day, especially when it's not needed.

Hoodoo the little Rosselli's are nice :) I've got a couple of Bruseletto's that I really like too :cool:

Wilderbeast the avatar was from a build your own South Park character site on the web. No idea now where it came from, sorry :confused:

atb,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE