With one wee knife :) photo heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you :)
The article on how to do it safely with a tanged blade is very much worth reading.
Basically don't hit the back of the knife any harder than you are holding it in place. If it 'springs' it can snap the tang.

I can batton with a butter knife, sharp and shaped is much better, but all it needs to do is open up a slit that you can get a wedge into and then you can hit that a lot harder. A better knife often doesn't need the wedge, but it's a good thing to learn to use as well.

Russ bought a froe and it's not only safe, it's a blooming good tool for breaking open an log too :D and again, it's a balance thing. Hit it as hard as you can hold it down.

atb,
M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
IMG_0266.JPG

I mentioned earlier that I've been using a wee blade I got for Christmas a fair bit of late. I mostly use an Opinel as an EDK but this little chap has been getting a lot of use lately. The little leather tail is just some scrap I had kicking around. The blade takes a good edge and is surprisingly versatile.

IMG_0267.JPG

IMG_0268.JPG

IMG_0269.JPG

IMG_0270.JPG

I have a plethora of little blades kicking about the house, I like these little quill/pen knives. The take an amazingly good edge and outperform their size many times over. Plus they are nice to hold and look at too.
IMG_0271.JPG

Hope you enjoy a wee peek.
ATB,
GB.

Reactions: Toddy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
goatboy, you might want to remove one of those pics (the one showing the flippy folding knife)

Aye even at that size it's technically illegal to carry outside the house. As far as I'm aware it's OK to own one as long as it never leaves the confines of your four walls. (So technically I couldn't even move house with it!) I'm led to believe that I can own it in my house but just not take it beyond the threshhold. Cheers for the concern though. It never does leave the house by the way. It's purely a shelf piece.

"UNITED KINGDOM- Legally classified as an offensive weapon since January 1989, the Butterfly knife Butterfly knife are legal to possess. However, carrying on in public is an offense in the UK under the Prevention of Crime Act of 1953. Importing, Sale of, lending, giving or hiring is prohibited by the Criminal Justice Act of 1988 as amended by the Offensive Weapons Act of 1996. Any Butterfly knife imported are liable to be seized and prosecution may follow with the exception of knives of this type that are over 100 years old that are classified as antiques."

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE