Winter Sleeping Bags on E bay

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
Just spotted a couple of winter Army sleeping bags on ebay at the moment.

If you search for "British Army Cold Weather Sleeping Bag Soldier 95" you should find 2.

I have one and it's toasty!

(No connection to sellers, just saw these at a good price)

Snozz

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
A BIT!......takes up the entire hold in me bergen...plus the karrimat an' bivi...lol
Wouldn't change it fer one o' these 'modern' maggot thingys tho.....I likes a bit o' space t' move about....an' BOY they has that!..lol

Hell no mate, i've got an expensive Mountain Hardwear one keeping the cupboard warm, lol. Never give it a second glance now.
You know the issue one is big when you can lie on your back and bring your knees up with feet flat on the floor and the bag doesn't move.:wow1:

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
And the centre zip is just the job in a hammock. No messing about with trying to slide into a modern one with no zip!

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
Plus when ye REALLY needs t' go:eek:....usually about 3am.......ye can grip both sides o' the zip....an' 'SHING!'.....yer out an' runnin'...bombproof ain't the word..lol

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
I've got the synthetic one. I pack it in a compression sack and can get it down to about 1 and a half foot long by 1 foot wide. They are larger than modern bags, but as people have said - very warm!

Don't know about the size of the down one, sorry, athough the synthetic ones do retain more warmth if damp or wet, as down compresses and loses it's heat trapping qualities when wet.

A good summary here of synth vs down.

http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/sleeping-bag-insulation/

iano

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2010
Wales
I've used the issue sleeping bag a lot, but found myself leaning towards a Softy 9 instead, or even an issue tropical bag (Herrick/Telic issue) in summer. The issue bag is warm and that is great, but it just takes up a heck of a lot of room in your bergen... Ideal if you have a vehicle or are static though! The tropic bag is also good as an indoors sleeping bag for those who find themselves gonking on their mates floor or wherever else, packs down nice and small and you can get a washable liner for it, very convenient.

Recently though my Softy 9 bag has become pretty clapped out and I've just gotten an American issue sleep system, its modular and 3-in-1, a summer sleeping bag, a winter sleeping bag and an MVP bivvybag that you can use separately or all buttoned together depending on if its redders or bloody Baltic out. Not bad, I can't imagine you would get a modular new civvy system thats goretex and rated for down to -50F :eek: for £100. Its big when all 3 are buttoned together but thats only to be expected - less bulk when only 1 bag and the bivvy are used. I'll let you know how it does once I put it to a proper field trial :D I would certainly consider the American one if you are after a winter sleeping bag...

If any of you know Jasper at Strikeforce supplies, he can sort you out with the American bags, and the trop one too for about 20 notes, and their service to me has always been very good. I don't think he has any Brit issue GS bags listed though, but you can always ask, he's quite a helpful chap. You might also try UK Kit monster, they often have stuff like this too, as well as the issue inflatable mats, at a lot more reasonable price than a thermarest!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The US sleep system is nice but if you are 5'11" or more make sure you get a 'Long' version as standard can be snug. Also make sure its made by Tennier Industries who make the genuine ones as there are a lot of copy/clones being sold as original.

iano

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2010
Wales
Mines Tennier phew, had no idea that they were cloning this sort of kit tho... Luckily I'm a shortarse too! :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE