Winter skills

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Is bushcraft a seasonal activity?

• Total voters
Jun 13, 2008
mold
i seem to get out in the woods more in the winter
summer months the weekends are spent canoeing or climbing
l with a camp of some sort but to just head out to c in the oods it seems to start n the autumn and head to spring

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I voted for the slightly less macho option :)

90% of people think they are in the top 10% of intelligence - I suspect there's a bit of that going on but it's great that so many want to be out in all weathers.

The truth is I have been out more this year than for a long time: -10C in January (not very low I know) and near 30 in August (not very hot either but this is the UK!). What I don't like is the added risk of using tools such as an axe when everything is wet but I love sitting in woods in the pooring rain; it feels like the whole of nature is sitting out the weather with you.

Horizontal rain in freezing condition - no, I'll find shelter and good company around a fire with a good dram.

Broch

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Some have little choice:

AutumnBag.jpg

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I love the winter months out there - hardly anyone about and our "winter" is not usually that bad. Best winter days are when it snows so much they shut my school, send the kids home, and I can get out into the woods.

some like it cold

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2009
forest of dean
i like the cold but i dont like the wet too much and as im new to the whole bushcrafting thing i think i need to perfect my firelighting skills somewhere dryer at the least

looking forward to getting out for day trips at least this winter

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
This will be my first winter as a bushcrafter so it will be good to get out when the going gets cold. It looks like I will need to buy some more gear as mine is only 2 or 3 season stuff; what a great excyse for some more toys... . I would love to do fire inthe snow after seeing some youtube videos about it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE