Winter Hammocking- Bivi's?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Just curious how many guys use Bivi's over their bag for winter hammocking?

Its looking like one of the last items on the list for warmth and dryness over the winter. Not had any problems with damp so far, but i assume it will add that few deg's more warmth, protection and i can use it in the better weather for ultra-light camping on the ground.

Looking at the Alpkit Hunka XL as a starter, but open to to other suggestions for around the same price!

Regards, TBL.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi al just look in the e,bay adds for an army bivvis there not that expensive have a looksee regards dave

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Have a look at highlanders pro force hawk bivi,I use one on the ground and can't fault it.
Personally I wouldn't use a bivi in a hammock because of the aggro to get in it,unless you get one with a centre zip.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Cheers guys :)

I wasn't shure if people use them in this combo, and can see it being a bit 'trickey' to get in one... I'm shure i've seen them with side zips, although few and far between!

Undecided, have to give it some serious thought after my next outing.

Regards, al.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
The highlander one has a short side zip about 1 metre long.If you search about you can find the for £30.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I use the Alpkit Hunka - probably did a review of it too, I'll look in a bit. I use the bivi all the time I've used a hammock. The art to using them it would seem to me, is get yer legs in first ( I know I know, like you're gonna get in head first.. but you know what I mean I hope.. :D ) and sit on the hammock just like you normally would, swing legs up and wriggle a little into the rest, simples.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Cheers nagual... One landed on the doorstep this-morning, looks a nice bit of kit for the money!

Dont laugh but i'm actually going to sleep in it tonight to see how it performs :) heating off, bedroom windows open kinda stuff.

Argyll, now there's a place to live... spent my youth in Inverary, Furnace ect. Might be hitting the hills for a week next year visiting some family.

atb, TBL.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
british issue one is perfect for the job but not in a hammock

and is cheap as chips if baught of ebay and is also bomb proof

I always use my issue bivi in my hammock. Like other have said its adds a few degrees and keeps the wind out. Yeah its a struggle but you get used to it.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
An over-the-top hammock bivvy would be just the ticket. How roomy are the MOD bivys? Could you fit one over the hammock/UQ without it constricting everything too much?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE