winter day(s) outdoors... and a couple of tips

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
sometimes you don't need a big fire... a small twig fire is easyer and quicker to light, and doesn't need a large amount of fuel. a twig fire, where to look for dry twigs when everything is covered in snow, and a simple way to support your teapot over the fire: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs_M4aEE4KE

a warm can of fruit in (light) syrup is a great meal to have when you are outdoors in cold environments. and yes, if you don't have a can opener at hand, you can open it with your folding knife, without breaking the tip or ruining the cutting edge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFMrNN-FC9Y

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
sometimes you don't need a big fire... a small twig fire is easyer and quicker to light, and doesn't need a large amount of fuel. a twig fire, where to look for dry twigs when everything is covered in snow, and a simple way to support your teapot over the fire: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs_M4aEE4KE

Reminds me of a mquote I saw once, on here and on other bushcraft related sites.

"Indian makes small fire, sits close. White man makes big fire, sits far away." - someone?

Haven't watched the vids yet, but will when not at work :S

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK

I made up a little 'survival' kit for my brother when he spent his birthday up in Scotland a couple of years ago - including a tea light candle, to which he used as a base to get a little fire going - no bigger than the flat rock he used as base to keep it off the ground.

@emdiesse: hehe, that's so true... generally speaking ;) !
@johnnythefox: indeed i do carry a lot for a day out - that's because i like to have the option of stretching it to an overnight, if i feel like it (ok, i admit: that's an excuse, not a reason...); plus, i just like to be confortable (and that might be the real reason :D).
@calibanzwei: a tea light candle is a very useful item to have - the most wet wood will surely catch up during the ~4 hours of open flame provided by the candle. it will keep your brew warm, and if you modify it (using a coiled-up strip of cardboard as a wick, to make it burn in ~15 min instead of the usual 4 hours - and proportionally hotter) you can even use it to boil 1-2 cup(s) of water. it gives enough light to go by while in camp during the dark hours. it can be used to slightly warm the inside of a small shelter, and it's a good indicator of the air quality in a snow shelter. you can use the wax (paraffin, actually) to water-proof various pieces of gear or to reduce friction, if needed. there must be other uses, too...

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
I've always been a big fan of a small fire too, then again I'm lazy, well maybe not lazy but efficient ;) why cut lots of wood when you can sit closer and use less wood.

Lupis

Forager
Dec 12, 2009
Scotland
Normally a big fan of your videos bushcraftmyway, but the can opening one is just asking for trouble. Resting it on your leg, esp after one of your other videos telling people not to push down on a blade on your leg... And I certainly wouldn't want to try it with a non-locking folder. As I said, I love your other videos, just not this one.

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
Its not the size of the fire that really matters but the size of the fuel used.

If your just stopping for a brew its far quicker and simpler to buildvery hot fire by piling on an armload of thumb thick sticks and get the flames 6 foot in the air before suspending the pot.

The fire will boil the water quicker, burn out quicker and you won't have to keep adding fuel.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Normally a big fan of your videos bushcraftmyway, but the can opening one is just asking for trouble. Resting it on your leg, esp after one of your other videos telling people not to push down on a blade on your leg... And I certainly wouldn't want to try it with a non-locking folder. As I said, I love your other videos, just not this one.

Yes, that made me a bit nervous too.

I like the pot stand idea though.

@sappy: right! twigs are enough for a quick stop brew.

@lupis, wayland: i appreciate your constructive criticism! even if there was no real danger (i was holding the blade close to the tip, and there was no real pressure applied - that was the point i was trying, but apparently not succeded :D, to make: you need to only very gentle tap on the knife) it would have been a much better ideea to put the can on the ground.

about the non-locking knife: opinel is a very safe knife, i never heard about a failing viroblock (i don't say it can not fail, i just say you need to really really push it to fail). however, this can be done with a slip-joint, too, if you tap straight down and don't really apply pressure (which is the right way anyway). even if the knife closes on you (it shouldn't, but s..t happens), you are safe, because you hold the blade and therefore it can not cut you.

again, thank you for bringing up the safety thing!

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
i'm willing to try, but you'll have to teach me how... (yep, my pc skills are less than ideal :dunno:)

well u have said that in the right place and if you put thread in other chatter asking how and u will learn and sorry i cant be much use dont have an i phone

now in regards the videos there are ausome but the safety aspect did worry me but your explanation was superb and i think it quite clearly safety minded

drew

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE