Winter camping using two blankets?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dirty

Forager
Jun 21, 2012
Cornwall
That was my thought! A fire should dry the air around you, but at 4am, would water vapor just be warmed to above 0 degrees, where it would feel damper, and suck in more heat?
I'm not a physicist, but I hope someone understands what I'm saying. It's always colder in fog banks.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
That was my thought! A fire should dry the air around you, but at 4am, would water vapor just be warmed to above 0 degrees, where it would feel damper, and suck in more heat?
I'm not a physicist, but I hope someone understands what I'm saying. It's always colder in fog banks.

yup humidity, always colder just above freesing at 100% humidity, damp gets into everything, down rots. Just below freezing at 0% humidity feels alot walmer, like when its not been above freezing for 24hours, nice and crisp !

Balloonatic

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2013
Hertfordshire
I know this is your personal trip and challenge, and as such it is up to you how you do it, but as an interested reader, I would love to see the challenge maintained as a Daniel Boone challenge, i.e. use just the things you have with you to set up a quick evening shelter and spend the night out, much like wilderness travelers from past centuries would have. They were usually trying to get somewhere, or were checking trap lines, hunting etc. They certainly weren't spending most of the day building shelters. I would love to see the challenge done in a way where you spend most of the day doing other bushy things as we ordinarily do, and then when the sun starts going down, put together a shelter with the things you have on you, much like Boone would have done, or we would do with modern gear.

I wonder about this, there are period sources by Rangers on patrol talking about building a quick lean-to shelter from wood, foliage etc in winter. You can build a good, sturdy shelter in a matter of half an hour if you need to with enough foliage on top to provide insulation and enough of a bed to keep warm. I doubt this counts as building a cabin but if you were part of a travelling party in winter I'm fairly sure building a decent place to sleep would rank fairly high on your priorities.

There is a long hunter inspired series by snow walker bushcraft on youtube where the presenter Brian Manning shows the long hunter camp he has built using the tarpaulin for a roof and then walled the sides using logs.
Ray Mears shows in a tv series (i dont recall which one) a technique where he joins two Australian basha's together then weaves walls for the front and back using saplings/ trimmed branches together-i tried this technique on the Campcraft course run by Woodlore and it is a very effective wind barrier which increases the temp inside the tarps.

Stands to reason that those woodsy folk before us would of made use of these skills/techniques to keep comfy.
its not a long job and hardly the building of a log cabin. the weaving could even be done once it was dark before they decided to retire to bed.

something else mentioned somewhere is the two sleeps folk had back then which i personally thinks tallies with how long a fire burns for before it needs refuelling/ readjusting. this would be a prime time for the sleeper to warm themselves again (Mors Kochanski recommends trying to push down a tree and other resitance excercise to raise metabolism but i always feel a bit daft when i do it) have a warm drinnk. (Nessmuk mentions waking around two bells-two am- and reducing some navy plug to its lowest denomination for a smoke in a couple of his tales within his book)

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I once(when i did ww2 re-enacting)slept out in a ww2 canvas bedroll with two blankets and i was wearing wool battledress, it was in a pine forrest in winter outside the forrest the wind was up, inside were we slept was calm but about minus 4 or 5,not other form of heating(eg fire etc) was used under the bedroll was dry pine needles, i have to admit it was'nt the best nights sleep ive ever had,woke up numerous times due to cold spots but i did survive the night.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Yep thats the one.... inside this I carried a Czech Bed Roll with a spare balnket :)... tied wtih some old DD hammock Tape.... used that as I had nowt else by the time of the CHallenge, but will def make some straps... with nice wide over sholder bits...

Thinkning about it it would not have been much larger with a roll mat inside... its was light but bulky.. I can do bulky :)

I have thought about getting two more to make a 4x4 ishhhhhh..... tarp :)

Now that would be a tarp to behold!
I'm thinking of using the Zelhtbahn to wrap my double blanket and DD tarp into a 'shelter' roll. Along with bits like extra layers and candle lantern that I won't need till I set camp. I've got a meshok pack to stow everything else and my extra single blanket on top.
Might nick Sam's idea and put a T cut into the single blanket.

Now that would be a tarp to behold!
I'm thinking of using the Zelhtbahn to wrap my double blanket and DD tarp into a 'shelter' roll. Along with bits like extra layers and candle lantern that I won't need till I set camp. I've got a meshok pack to stow everything else and my extra single blanket on top.
Might nick Sam's idea and put a T cut into the single blanket.

that works really well mate the T doesnt affect it as a blanket but opens up the potential a lot (is noce for sitting around fire at meets under as well.
just buying myself a merino wool gilet that bare thrills linked as an extra layer for it. and grabbed a merino wool blanket off ebay cause it was so dang cheap...
next time i go boone i'm gonna attempt to use a smaller pack (although for my birthday i've a bespoke 50ltr pack canvas pack coming) and wrap the blankets in tarp maybe even the pots and food stuff too

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I ve got a Blanket that was my Old Scout blanket... bit thin now, and covered in badges.. I some times use that as a poncho :)

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
that works really well mate the T doesnt affect it as a blanket but opens up the potential a lot (is noce for sitting around fire at meets under as well.
just buying myself a merino wool gilet that bare thrills linked as an extra layer for it. and grabbed a merino wool blanket off ebay cause it was so dang cheap...
next time i go boone i'm gonna attempt to use a smaller pack (although for my birthday i've a bespoke 50ltr pack canvas pack coming) and wrap the blankets in tarp maybe even the pots and food stuff too

That sounds just the job, could be used in conjunction with a Polish Lavvu half to make some interesting cold/wet weather gear (but maybe I'm having Dunedain fantasies now :rolleyes:).

Bespoke pack eh? Sounds very interesting, lucky man!

(but maybe I'm having Dunedain fantasies now :rolleyes:).

Bespoke pack eh? Sounds very interesting, lucky man!

if you go on suffolk boone thread there is a link to dundedain ranger reenactment forum (is a bit of fuin and the kit is shiny)

that would work very well though canvas on outside for wind protection and rain protection and wool for thermal perks

lucky/ reckless man thin line between the two :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Pleasure, gimme a shout when you shake the Pinny off. :)

For a highly fuel efficient way of providing warmth, the Sami split trunk style setup that we saw in Jokkmokk looks intriguing to try although foraging the log may be tricky.

john-stokke-and-kevin-warrington.jpg

I'm sure Wayland has a better photo of this somewhere.

Long-Log-Fire-1.jpg

Long_Log_Fire_2.jpg

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
I'm late finding this thread :)

The wrapping idea for blankets has great potential as I move around far too much in my sleep and kick off cover if I'm not careful. As all have said its insulation from the ground for me as well as ironing out a few of the grounds bumps that helps me sleep better too.

With the canvas you can get the fire closer which is key and if you are buddying up, then you could try the tarps facing each other idea we talked about, so each man acts as the reflector for the other and both benefit from the same fire. Just pitch selection then to get the layout?

Being a chunky my core is ok when wrapped up well. But feet are my cold spot. I know for you it's head you need to ensure is kept warm.

Great thread and keep us posted :)

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Had a chance to try out sleeping with two blankets last night.

I used a NVA Zehltbahn filled with (not enough) leaves as my sleeping pad, on top of this I had a single wool blanket to add a little warmth and then wrapped myself up in the double wool blanket. I certainly didn't get cold and my only issue was a bit of back pain from having too little cushioning underneath me. Used my spare jumper wrapped in a shemargh as a pillow.
Woke around 4.30am and the long fire had burned low so fed all the firedogs in, had a smoke and then slept for another few hours.

Temp wise it was about 10c with intermittent rain. I wore 2 layers on my legs and 3 on my torso then a wool hat and a buff.

021_zps655ca89d.jpg

023_zpsf1f5f29d.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE