Winter camping using two blankets?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
For what its worth, I reckon you should try the arrangement of your choice using a long fire then, after that, when you've got your confidence up, what about trying another night by building a debris shelter, really stuffing it with leaves, then taking your blankets in too? There will be no need for a fire so long as the shelter is top notch. I can't recall if your site has a lot of deciduous trees(?). BTW if you want a referee or safety marshall or something, I have spent at least one night out every month this year except July (yes, including when the snow was on the ground) so would be happy to help if its a week night you choose. All the best in your search for enlightenment!

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
BTW if you want a referee or safety marshall or something, I have spent at least one night out every month this year except July (yes, including when the snow was on the ground)

Not unusall...the Suffolk Lads are out all year round.. Every monthly meet is two nights, plus others.. Your'd be welcome if you fancy it :)

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Great update Copper_head. The leaf litter insulation has potential but sounds like a good depth is needed.

Aye, that pic was taken in the morning so it had flattened right down by then. Just lazyness on my part really, not gathering enough leaves. No pine trees in that wood which makes it a bit more time consuming.

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
@ Big Stu 12: Its a definite maybe is that! Thank you. Maybe PM some details/times/locations etc?.

Seriously MofT, a debris shelter has everything you need - or have I missed the point like about using long lays etc (?). I maybe need to learn more about Daniel Boone.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich

mbiraman

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2011
West Kootenays,BC
There's allot of posts here and i didn't want to read it all so my apologies if i'm just repeating other folks. I did a night out with one wool blanket last spring. I slept on a raised bed of pine needles in a lean-to, no fire. It got down to 5c. With the setup you posted at the beginning and with two blankets i would only add two things and that would be to your lean to. I would add insulation under you and a piece of plastic to the front and sides and make a super shelter out of it. With a long fire and a reflective tarp enclosed in as a SS you'll have no trouble staying warm,,,,as long as the fire stays going. The one thing i noticed for my outing was that every time the wind would pick up it would whip some of the warmth away from me . I didn't want to do a fire all night as things were very dry and i was at the bottom of a steep hillside/mt. Good luck with your adventure. You'll learn from this.

bill

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE