Winter- Bring it on!

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Long range forecasts and the number of berries seem to agree that it's going to be a hard winter. Never mind: the roof has been checked and slates replaced, the boiler is serviced, the woodpile is chopped and stacked; jam and chutney made, winter veg plot weeded and ready, larder stocked with dry goods and tins, freezer full; batteries laid in, candles, matches and kindling ready.

The backpack has been changed to winter mode, the van has been serviced and emergency gear checked. I have a stack of unread books and a few winter projects in hand- "Yes dear, I have included the spare-room bookshelves I didn't put up last winter!"

I really enjoy that feeling of being ready for anything and actually enjoyed it when the village was briefly cut off by snow.

What arrangements do you make for the winter?

rosshs1

Apr 5, 2011
oxfordshire
going to start checking I've got a good couple of weeks worth of the essentials and give the car a good once over, hopefully it'll be my first winter as a dad so lots more I need to store.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
and the number of berries seem to agree that it's going to be a hard winter.

Unfortunately a large quantity of berries or fruit on a bush/tree doesn't foretell of a hard winter to come but that last summer was a good one enabling fruiting wood to mature & this year has been a good growing season. :)

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Just need to put our winter tyres on and check the snow removing thing for the road outside our house is in good working order. Thats it really

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
"What arrangements do you make for the winter?"

Couple of weeks after grand child No2 arrives in January my winter arrangements will be tickets to Gran Canaria...sod the cold and rain.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Couple of weeks after grand child No2 arrives in January my winter arrangements will be tickets to Gran Canaria...sod the cold and rain.

I like the winter and have been thinking of relocating to the mountains. That said, part of me also wants to relocate somewhere uch as Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands. Or back to the Las Vegas area desert. Guess I really need to just win the lottery.

crucible

Tenderfoot
May 14, 2011
vancouver bc canada
My winter preparations consist of:

Topping up my woodpile
Getting the winter kit and jackets down from the attic
Putting on my snow tires and doing winter maintenance on our vehicles
Waxing up our fleet of skis and snowboards

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Unfortunately a large quantity of berries or fruit on a bush/tree doesn't foretell of a hard winter to come but that last summer was a good one enabling fruiting wood to mature & this year has been a good growing season. :)

I remember this time last year the air was full of gloom and doom and harsh winter forecasts and winter turned out to be nothing of the kind.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I like the winter and have been thinking of relocating to the mountains. That said, part of me also wants to relocate somewhere uch as Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands. Or back to the Las Vegas area desert. Guess I really need to just win the lottery.

I've no problem with a cold winter, no problem with snow its the rain that just really pees me off now as I get older.

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Look at us all getting exited about snow!!:D We are big kids reliving our youth eh:lmao:
I love snow:hatscarf:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Will get the jeep on the lift soon for a full oils change, steam clean, re seal and a good lube up:D, need to find a local powder coat garage to redo the wheels, going to line the soft top at some point, house heating all tested and fine, warm kit all unpacked and aired:)

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Give the Discovery a good once over. Put my name down on the emergency action snow response team at work 'cos I'm a 4x4er (it's gripped). That's usually enough to ensure we get a wet mild winter down south.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Can't even imagine winter yet, it was 36c here today.

Was THAT warm we went for a swim (in the sea) thinking it would be quite as it's October now, but struggled to find a spot it was that busy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE