Winter Baselayer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i avoid anything with cotton as a baselayer except in the desert where it is good at keeping you cool. everywhere else i just get chilled as it soaks up sweat like a sponge.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Spacemonkey said:
I'm going to buy my first thermals this year, mainly for on my bike, and for when wading in the sea under goretex waders flyfishing. What do you think would be the most suitable for static on the bike and wading, yet can cope with the long walk TO the sea? I was wondering about silk thermals? What's the score? Do wool thermies itch? I have very sensitive skin... :)

Bear in mind that the water pressure on the outside of the goretex will tend to crush fluffy (fleece) fabrics and reduce insulation. Something bulky is a good thing when wading in the cold.

I've found barbour merino thermals good, but they are pretty thin. No noticeable itch (but I'm not a sensitive sort)

Jim.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
steven andrews said:
I see they now do a Military Lifa..link

55% polypropylene
36% Merino wool
9% nylon

Just thought I'd point out that I think the military LIFA isn't the prowool version as detailed above. It's just the standard LIFA in olive green i.e. its 100% polypropylene, no merino etc.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Has anyone tried or use regually the snugpak 2nd skinz? They sell them reasonably cheap here at work and feel like they will be nice and warm.

I was looking for reviews on the web but couldn't find much information about them.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
Beer Monster said:
Just thought I'd point out that I think the military LIFA isn't the prowool version as detailed above. It's just the standard LIFA in olive green i.e. its 100% polypropylene, no merino etc.

Ah. Sorry.

leon-1

Buffalo are a good heavy layer, can't see the need for the M65 as the Pertex of the Buffalo is both shower resistant and windproof.

M65's are generally a polycotton, they can be proofed to improve thier resistance to water but that is about as far as they go.

I would look for a good base layer to go with the Buffalo and possibly a waterproof for when it gets really foul out there.

jay120970

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2005
devon
the canvass jacket is generly for keeping the sparks and ruff stuff of the expencive buffalo top after buying this great top am i dont fancy getting it melted lol plus depends on what your doing colleting wood building shelters etc saves ware n tare as the jackets are cheap and expendable
but i know what you mean about the buffalo being enough on its own
my m65 is 100% cotton canvass with the large white lable inside

Batfink

Forager
Jul 18, 2004
Newbury, Berks, UK
www.alexpye.net
I use a nice Tog 24 base layer I picked up in a sale a few years ago. Alternative I've got a couple of thermal wicking T-shirt things by various companies, and, if all else fails, I've got some nasty OG army ones - although they proper honk now!!!

I only wear these if absolutely neccessary - normally it's Buffalo (well, the Arktis Mammouth ripoff Buffalo!) next to the skin to enable it all to wick away the sweat better!

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
wanderinstar said:
Has anyone used Damart Thermals, as there has been no mention of them on here? If anyone has ,whats the verdict?
Ian.
I have found that Damart thermals are ok until they are washed, then they shrink but only in the legs/arms. If you buy them a size or two too big after washing they fit on the leg/arm but are loose around the waist/chest . (I only used them when I was driving forklift trucks. Loading and unloading trucks in unheated warehouses, so don’t know what they are like to wear when traveling/camping)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE