Wine Wire uses?

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
You know how some wine bottles have wire on?

These days I think it's just to make them look posh, but I believe it's historically something they did so that the bottles could be stacked more safely.

Well I've been looking at some on a bottle we polished off at the weekend. I think it's brass.

And straight away the womble in me began wondering what it could be used for.

Has anyone else thought the same thing, or have any ideas?

Of course if someone comes up with something sensational we may have to suffer the hardship of drinking a lot of wine.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Indeed, I've thought the very same thing, though I'm more of a stig than a womble. There is something there. Waiting to be fashioned I'm sure, but I've never put time aside to coax it out.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
+1Adze. Thinking the same thing. Could be a rib on our Gammarus fresh water crustacean.
But it has to be nearly ribbon-like to show up against the lime green body floss.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
+1Adze. Thinking the same thing. Could be a rib on our Gammarus fresh water crustacean.
But it has to be nearly ribbon-like to show up against the lime green body floss.

Floss/tinsel works, or you can tie in a pair or trio of wires and wrap those like a floss if it won't upset the weight much. Mind you, with the shrimps, at least the ones I used to tie, the heavier the better really.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's pretty good for spangles.
Those are the rings of beads at the end of my lace making bobbins :D
The brass doesn't stain the threads or the pillow cloths.

If you're of the notion to make your own Christmas geejaws and baubles it's an excellent beading wire.
It's also pretty useful for neatly binding the end of leather thongs or hand made cordages; a stiff whipping at the end to make aiglets. Those are the stiff ends of shoe laces, etc., but it lets you thread things easily through channels, pouches and the like too and leaves a finished end to the draw cords. Very tidy on the thong chokers.

Alternatively, if you have patience, and trust me you'll need it, it kinks like a curlywurly if given half a chance, it makes a very beautiful dreamcatcher :)
It's also pretty good for tieing bunches of greenery together and onto a willow hoop for either an Autumn or Christmas wreath.

M

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Just bought a case of Anciano Trempranillo Valdepenas 2006. Very fine brass wire all over them.
Everyone's suggestions leads me to save the wire.
The water here at 53N is really hard now. Might get to the fly-tying in maybe April!
In the meantime, I'll do my very best to make-do with the wine.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Thanks for those suggestions Toddy - never thought of using that wire before but you've given me lots to think about esp. The idea of using it for whipping. Ta!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE