Wind Charger

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Don't know how efficient that would be, but surely it must beat the snot out of my handcrank charger.
I have to work myself numb on that to get 5 min talking on the mobile from it.
And still I've had an occasion when I was praising the gods that I brought it along...

/ Karl

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
When I'm hiking I charge my phone in pubs and cafes during the day. I'd be a little sceptical about a wind system that small, because if you camp in a sheltered spot you'd find little wind and it's eratic at ground level anyway. A spare battery might be more reliable, but less fun!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
For a month long exped I just take along a spare battery for my phone - it weighs next to nothing and is small as well.
When it is not being used for booking hostels/transport or for my letting the wife know I am still alive it is switched off.
In the past the one battery has lasted well, but when I had to arrange rescue and medical care for one team member I needed the spare!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I Wonder if somone makes a mini hydro-electric charger you could place in a small brook or river :) It would take no further effort than setting the thing and you could leave it all day. I know its kinda enviroment specific but hey..

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
Take a lemon and a bag of sugar!! I remeber doing this at school it keeps a little wind mill turning for days Im sure there isenough to trickle charge a phone!!

The water wheel option wouldnt work you wo uldnt get enough power from a hand held device, although the water turbines they are installing in Anglesey looks cool ;)

I would still opt for turning it off ;)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I Wonder if somone makes a mini hydro-electric charger you could place in a small brook or river :) It would take no further effort than setting the thing and you could leave it all day. I know its kinda enviroment specific but hey..

You could make one to use when your taking a pee? ;)

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
Here's an idea:

We take out the magic little kinetic energy chargers out of the fancy watches that don't need rewinding or batteries.. wire them all up in series/parallel, and hang them from a small tree branch shaking in the wind...???

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
When I'm hiking I charge my phone in pubs and cafes during the day. I'd be a little sceptical about a wind system that small, because if you camp in a sheltered spot you'd find little wind and it's eratic at ground level anyway. A spare battery might be more reliable, but less fun!

Ahem! You're not eating right mate! A bean feast is what you needs, proper cowboy food!

:D

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Remember watching a programme about those wind turbines that you can put up in your garden. And it basically said that they're too small to of be any benefit. So no doubt these are gimmicks.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Here's an idea:

We take out the magic little kinetic energy chargers out of the fancy watches that don't need rewinding or batteries.. wire them all up in series/parallel, and hang them from a small tree branch shaking in the wind...???

Have wondered about this?

Could you not have one in the back of a rucsac?

Wonder how they work?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE