Pill Bottle Stoves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AndyH

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2008
Shetland
I came across Pill Bottle Stoves this evening. This is certainly a new thing to me. Does anyone know what the stones are in the kit?

SEE HERE

The vendor is in the US and as I am in the UK I would like to see if I can get something closer to home, or even make my own kit.

Thanks

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Have heard of someone making similar from like a pizza tile in a thread I posted on a similar product for a firestarter.

Reactions: AndyH and Crac

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Interesting, not seen this before.
I wouldn’t bother, I sometimes use a Trangia and that’s as easy way of burning meths as any.

Pill box Stove

The stones are obviously some form of aerated composite but I have no idea what that composition is.
The advantage is the burning surface area is bigger than the average alcohol stove - hence it is a minute quicker than a military (125ml) Svea (Swedish Army Trangia).

I can’t see it being much use without its windshield. A slight puff and it went out.

Reactions: AndyH

AndyH

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2008
Shetland
Thanks for the responses and links.

My guess was that Pill Bottle Stove was using pumice stones, but before I set fire to the one in the bathroom I wanted to check what others thought. The link to the video of the South African contributor proved me right - probably.

I own plenty of meths stoves, but don't use them as it is almost always windy here in Shetland. I was thinking more about it being a stove I don't have!

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
They are vermiculite board IIRC rather than pumice. It's a good idea and works well but, as you guessed, is very sensitive to wind. The pill bottle is a pain to open too, it's an American design that requires squeezing of sides etc and usually ends up disgorging meths all over the place.

Sent from underground

AndyH

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2008
Shetland
I have heard of vermiculite but it never came to mind. That is really useful. Thanks.

I have now found a link here:

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
I had only ever used it in the garden so I was surprised that it has other uses

Sent from underground

fellows

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2015
Dorset
I was on a first aid course once and a guy pulled out his titanium cup, in it was :

His trangia burner, 3 nails and an old speckled hen tin that had been cut open to create a rollup-able wind protector that fits in the cup.

Beautiful setup on grass or bare ground.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE