Will our Bushcraft and Survival skills be put to the test

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Oh sorry I thought I posted in the "GENERAL CHATTER" section of the forum,and as such I was expecting "General chatter" if it had said "GENERAL BUSHCRAFT CHATTER" I wouldn't have posted it here.

I have a section called "for that day to day stuff" gives people to talk about day to day stuff, would post the address but according to the rules I cannot.

LS ;)

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
I don't care about bird flu. It's nowhere near as dangerous as the media would lead us believe. Even if it does ever mutate into a form that's truly deadly, our scientists will beaver away and quickly find a treatment, it is after all just a flu virus. Remember Sars? Sars is about as dangerous as ordinary flu now, ever since they worked out how to treat it.

If we all collectively stopped worrying about stupid epidemics, or how many affairs our politicians are having, we might actually get round to worrying about something worthwhile instead.

By the way, did you know Donald Rumsfeld owns $5,000,000 worth of Gilead stock; the company that make Tamiflu. You couldn't make it up.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
innocent bystander said:
Theres the problem. It is such a simple question, but there is no simple answer. If a bird flu pandemic strikes we will all be bound by the same rules and regulations as everyone else.
Any powers that be will not be saying "Oooh your a bushcrafter, please wander around the countryside at will".
The influenza will not be saying "oooh your a bushcrafter, i'll ignore you as your prepared to catch rabbits, build shelters and filter water". It doesn't render you immune to it. Going out and doing your own thing strikes me a selfish. Your certainly not thinking of anyone else by spreading things about.

Some good points made, but if a bird flu strikes the birds will suffer and not the humans, if a pandemic flu strikes about 50% of the population could be out of circulation, 25% ill and 25% looking after them, thats about 15,000,000 ill, and 15,000,000 looking after them, so of the 30,000,000 left how many will be out enforcing people not to go out and forage for food in the woods. Besides I guess that those that do venture out will probably be wearing some form of barrier face mask to stop either the spread of the virus from themselves or from catching it from others, just a thought, so would staying at home with no food not be deemed as selfish by those who are looking on you to get them something to eat because they are hungry.

LS

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
ludlowsurvivors said:
Some good points made, but if a bird flu strikes the birds will suffer and not the humans, if a pandemic flu strikes about 50% of the population could be out of circulation, 25% ill and 25% looking after them, thats about 15,000,000 ill, and 15,000,000 looking after them, so of the 30,000,000 left how many will be out enforcing people not to go out and forage for food in the woods. Besides I guess that those that do venture out will probably be wearing some form of barrier face mask to stop either the spread of the virus from themselves or from catching it from others, just a thought, so would staying at home with no food not be deemed as selfish by those who are looking on you to get them something to eat because they are hungry.

LS

An active population of 30,000,000 could carry on quite comfortably while also taking care of the incapacitated 30,000,000 and not having to turn to primitive methods. We, as a nation, have certainly got the money, technology and abilities to do this.
We'd just have to stop binge-drinking and watching reality shows on our 48" LCD tv's for a while.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Pappa said:
I don't care about bird flu. It's nowhere near as dangerous as the media would lead us believe. Even if it does ever mutate into a form that's truly deadly, our scientists will beaver away and quickly find a treatment, it is after all just a flu virus. Remember Sars? Sars is about as dangerous as ordinary flu now, ever since they worked out how to treat it.

If we all collectively stopped worrying about stupid epidemics, or how many affairs our politicians are having, we might actually get round to worrying about something worthwhile instead.

By the way, did you know Donald Rumsfeld owns $5,000,000 worth of Gilead stock; the company that make Tamiflu. You couldn't make it up.

So what if the scientists catch it? it is estimated that the vaccine would not be ready until the first wave has been and gone, and then they have to make enough for everyonre to have two shots of it, thats 120,000,000 doses, but when the second wave hits it may be different from the first, like normal flu does every year, so will the first vacine be any use? then there could be the third wave!

As for H5N1 being "just flu" you may like to take a read of this.....http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/5/4/apworld/20060504213145&sec=apworld

Normal flu kills 10's of thousands of people world wide each year, H5N1 is a bit different, homework is good to find the facts, a google on H5N1 will do the trick or something like BIRDFLU has the same effect.

LS

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
-Switch- said:
An active population of 30,000,000 could carry on quite comfortably while also taking care of the incapacitated 30,000,000 and not having to turn to primitive methods. We, as a nation, have certainly got the money, technology and abilities to do this.
We'd just have to stop binge-drinking and watching reality shows on our 48" LCD tv's for a while.

An active population? earlier someone mentioned quarantine, also, what if those 30,000,000 are under 16 or over 60, can anyone here run a petroleum depot, a gas pumping station, a sewerage works, a water plant, a brick factory or a blast furnace, nuclear or other power station, if half the population is not in work can these still run 24/7 on half staffing or even less if it is the working population is the main casualty in a pandemic?

Just a few questions to try and get the feel of what could be facing us all.

LS :sad6:

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Being the worst flu he has had to deal with means that he is too young to have dealt with the other outbreaks. That is all.
Who will watch us ? The ones with respirators, of course.

In the UK, around 1200 die a year from "normal" flu. Compare this to the spanish flu in 1918. 200,000 died in the UK in a matter of months... Estimates are that between 25 and 100 million died globally.
The thing is, that strain died out in 18 months,because of the build up in immunity and any variants that reappeared were mild in comparison. And that 18 months was with little or no knowledge of modern medicine. You can reduce that down considerably with modern methods.
I'm certainly not going to lie awake at night worrying about it. I'm lieing awake because i have just had a wisdom tooth out and my face hurts. :lmao:

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
ludlowsurvivors said:
An active population? earlier someone mentioned quarantine, also, what if those 30,000,000 are under 16 or over 60, can anyone here run a petroleum depot, a gas pumping station, a sewerage works, a water plant, a brick factory or a blast furnace, nuclear or other power station, if half the population is not in work can these still run 24/7 on half staffing or even less if it is the working population is the main casualty in a pandemic?

Just a few questions to try and get the feel of what could be facing us all.

LS :sad6:

And who do you think will be getting first dibs on the medication ? :rolleyes:

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I noticed that and also (selectively quoting)
Webster predicted it would take at least 10 mutations before the H5N1 virus could transmit from human to human. But he said there's no way to know how long - or if - it would take for that to happen.

Somewhere there's a thread where Doc(?) gives some good information on bird flu etc, I'll have a look.

[edit]my post was referring to pappa's[/edit]

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Having been to several countries in which people live quite happily with very few of the necessities listed,I'm sure we would cope reasonably well.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that from 1939 to about 1945 most of the adult male population of this country was too busy to work in the factories or drive lorries to transport food about the country,or indeed to grow the food.There was very little in the way of imports of fuel and most of that went to the military.
Oh and by the way,we were under constant attack a lot of the time.

I think we coped reasonably well then and would cope no less well under your scenario.

Sorry to seem flippant,just a little reality check.

Reactions: redcollective

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Personally I think that this flu is a real and proper threat,it is not a question of if it will mutate but when according to the experts.Ive taken quite an interest in this over a number of years.Medical experts have been waiting for this to happen ever since the great flu epidemic in 1918(I think it was).I remember reading about them searching for some and digging up some frozen flue victims in the perma frost some place in Canada to study their remains and the virus about ten years ago.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Pappa said:
If a pandemic strain emerges "you will probably get infected, you will probably get very sick, but you probably won't die,''

Like flu.

Probably?

Now I am confident that I will be ok, Now I hope that they will let the world know and we can stop spending all the taxpayers money on all the preparations they are making, I wonder how many of the 105 now dead casualties they said that to.

So which of the "experts" shall we listen to, Hmm I wonder. :rolleyes:

LS

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
ludlowsurvivors said:
Probably?

Now I am confident that I will be ok, Now I hope that they will let the world know and we can stop spending all the taxpayers money on all the preparations they are making, I wonder how many of the 105 now dead casualties they said that to.

So which of the "experts" shall we listen to, Hmm I wonder. :rolleyes:

LS

He was quoting your reference.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
CLEM said:
I remember reading about them searching for some and digging up some frozen flue victims in the perma frost some place in Canada to study their remains and the virus about ten years ago.
Which the yanks then used to recreate the virus, and got the complete genome for the thing...The nutters...

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
innocent bystander said:
And who do you think will be getting first dibs on the medication ? :rolleyes:

What medication, they haven't developed it yet, and cannot do so until they have positively identified the strain, and Tamiflu if not given at the right time will be as useful as a sugar pill, if they can distribute it quickly enough. They think it is best given within 24-48 hours of symptoms, but what if people think it is just "ordinary flu" or the doctors cannot get to you etc etc.

LS

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
scanker said:
He was quoting your reference.

I know he was, the doc also said it was like no other flu virus he had come across, in reply to the comment it was just like "ordinary flu" and as "ordinary flu" kills tens of thousands every year, and this doc reckons that we will "probably" get infected, "probably get very ill" but "probably" wont die, just who is he trying to convince, so if 25% of the world population gets this virus they "probably" wont die but if the get "ordinary flu" will they possibly die? :sad6:

LS

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Graham_S said:
my bushcraft skills have been put to the test.
i gave a fire by friction demo to a group of explorer scouts.
:D

:D
Now *that* is Scary! :eek:
....But Graham, you're good at fire....do you still get a firelighting badge in the Scouts?

Cheers,
Toddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE