Hi I’m new to bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

billycoen

Settler
Jan 26, 2021
north wales
Obviously nothing like getting out in the wild, but I love testing equipment or skills out in the garden. Getting all my equipment out for maintenance. Setting up a shelter or having a little fire in the garden.
Spot on,i know where i'd rather find out,and it isn't in the middle of nowhere in the rain.

Reactions: wookii

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think there's something missing in this thread. Seasonality.

In a couple of months you can go for a walk and easily just stay out and awake until dawn.
Amazing way to see the world and the wildlife within it :)
You don't even need any kit more than you could pack in a small day rucksack, if you think it's necessary. What's in your pockets would do.

Right now, mid February, my bit of the world is both cold and sploonging wet. There's nothing dry out there, not even the rocks. So, going out to wander like that's not fun, not worth the hassle and discomfort. Fine for a walk, but to hang around ? be overnight for couple of days ? not so keen.
Can it be done ? yes, but unless you want to be miserably uncomfortable, you need kit, at the very least decent waterproofs. Overnight = more kit, or a power of work in short order and that relies on resources available.

Bushcraft doesn't necessarily mean you have to be out overnight, it can just mean knowing enough to enrich a walk :) Practice skills and feel comfortable in your ability.

M

Reactions: wookii and Broch

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@jacko14
You can of course practice your knots at home. That's sensible without any doubt and you can learn here a lot with the little investment of just a metre of cheap rope from the hardware shop. That costs next to nothing. The knots that are mentioned in the knot thread above you can find at YouTube. There they show you in videos how to tie them.

They usually show the knots with thicker ropes, but I recommend you to buy 1 m of a 2,5 or 3 mm cord because it's cheaper and you can keep it in your pocket. Like this you could practice your knots at the bus stop or wherever.

Such videos you find easily if you search at YouTube for the names of the knots that we mentioned in the thread.

If you have no pocket knife, I recommend you to buy a Victorinox Climber.
For longer tours it will be very practical because it has the nail scissors and tin and bottle opener. We talk about bushcraft here, but we don't live in Siberia. In reality it has all attached what's needed, nothing more, and will serve you very well outdoors and in daily life.
It is legal to carry in the UK in daily life. You can have it always in your pocket and everywhere you can pick up a stick and learn carving with it.

I always carry in the rucksack a Morakniv Garberg (the stainless steel version is the better choice and I recommend to buy it with the leather sheath). It is an affordable real survival knife that serves very well as all purpose knife. But this knife I use only 10% of the time although I could have it in daily life at my belt here in Germany.
90 % of the tasks I do with the Victorinox Climber!

It costs approximately 30 € and is well worth the investment.

But if you already have a different little pocket knife it surely will be OK too for the beginning after you sharpened it. You could even ask to sharpen it in a little butcher's shop when you buy there.

Like this you can start immediately with very little costs and preparation.

Don't try to split wood with the pocket knife! If you hit with a baton onto the blade you could either break it or hurt yourself heavily.
In videos about bushcraft and knives they show a lot of batoning. But it isn't necessary if you want to start a fire.
That you can do that with some knives is a selling argument and so they show this method. But usually there are far better ways to start a fire.

I did send you a personal message.
Have a look there!

Last edited:
Reactions: StevieE

BumblingAlong

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2021
Winchester
Finding that the hoods on most military ponchos are too small for me and my helmet. Any suggestions for ponchos with extra large hoods which give more head room appreciated

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
Hey I love the idea of surviving in nature on just what you have in your backpack.
Want to learn these skills and be able to put them to use.

Any pointers for someone who hasn’t got the money to go on a bushcraft course?
And if anyone could help understand where I’m allowed to practice these skills?
I’m from Essex and we have woodlands some big ones but all protected and get busy with members of public.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can watch you tube videos and learn a lot but you may miss out on subtleties that would make the task easier or more successful. The best way to learn bushcraft skills is from another bushcrafter, a guy I know from another forum has taught me friction firelighting and natural cordage, another guy has taught me quite a bit about natural tinders. Having met these guys through a forum meet they passed on their knowledge freely.
Another point to remember is that some of the YouTube “experts“ may not be as expert as they appear, many are simply monetising a skill that they’ve only just learned and they may not be passing on the subtleties because they didn’t learn the technique fully.

Reactions: Erbswurst

BumblingAlong

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2021
Winchester
5' 9"". Don't actually wear a helmet. A metaphor for having plenty of head space. So many reviews mention restricted or tightness in the neck/hesd area

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE