will any old leather do

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gaz_miggy

Forager
Sep 23, 2005
Hereford
ok i was thinking about having ago at making a sheath but have no leather so i was thinking about going round charity shops and trying to find somthing like an old hand bag or somthing, would it do? also and links on how to give it ago?

miniac

Forager
Sep 1, 2005
Rainham, Essex, UK
Mate, I was planning on doing some leather stuff as well. I bought some leather panels off ebay so have a look if you can. Lots of fellows here say charity shops so that must be ok. I would imaging for a sheath the leather should be as thick as you can get it, 2 or 3mm perhaps.

I wish you good luck, I need it :lol:

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Charity shop leather is fine for practicing but you'll find it is chrome tanned and therefore won't wet mold into the shape of the knife like veg tanned leather does.

Old handbags and old leather coats make great possibles pouches and fire kit pouches though.

LePrevo leathers in Newcastle really are the best to get your veg tanned leather from. Because of all the people from here buying sheath leather, they are even cutting complete hides into six inch strips to sell by mail order (they just set their strap cutter to maximum width), so you don't even have to buy a whole shoulder any more. Give them a ring and tell them what you are making and they will keep you right on what you need. You'll find them very helpful, and these people don't just sell leather, they make stuff from it as well so they know what they're talking about.

Here's a link to LePrevo's web page on how to make a knife sheath
http://www.leprevo.co.uk/sheaths.htm

Eric

ggfh666

Forager
Jan 16, 2006
belgium
users.pandora.be
To avoid frustration it is best to get the good stuff right away : veg tanned leather.
I did my first sheath with recycled leather from a mallet (thing you carry paperwork in to work?) and it was worthless.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE