Wildstoves mods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Thought I'd share a couple of mods I've been able to do thanks to the generous people of this forum.

Firstly I bought the "clone" of this stove from aliexpress but its nigh on identical to the real thing. So these mods should work for both.

When I got the stove I had 2 issues with it. Wood pellets fell through the holes in the bottom, and it'd only take big pans. (An issue wildstoves has since "solved" with mixed reviews.)

I set about solving both these issues as simply as I could.

Thanks to the kind folks of this forum and the gift it on thread for making this possible.

The first was easy.

First mod, stop pellets falling through.
Easy.
nybe8uju.jpg

Second mod. Allow small pans using a less over engineered solution. My clone was a MkII and didn't have the new wire stand but thanks to hypnagog I managed to acquire one. To be honest it felt flimsy and complicated so I made my own, using these titanium lovelies:

7e2azy5e.jpg

I obtained via the gift it on thread.

They don't fit.

So...

tahytemy.jpg

10 minutes later...

uhupereq.jpg

y3ygy2a3.jpg

Thanks to my cack handed filing and luck it's a sprung tight fit but easy to install.

Works a treat.
8usavama.jpg

Feeding wood will be tricky. But with an hour long burn on a charge of pellets I can live with that.

Cheers

Mike.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I like the trivet mod, but I don't really get the carrying of wood pellets about for fuel. Isn't the idea of a wood burner so you can gather free fuel on the go, I would have thought gram for gram you'd be better off with something like a petrol stove?

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I like the trivet mod, but I don't really get the carrying of wood pellets about for fuel. Isn't the idea of a wood burner so you can gather free fuel on the go, I would have thought gram for gram you'd be better off with something like a petrol stove?

Dunno, not a gram weenie. Pellets give an hours burn and are clean safe and easy to carry. Plus I can feed with gathered wood too if required. Gathered wood doesn't burn for as long.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
They look to be The same trivet as yours.
Question about the trivet, can you tell me the width of the centre cross on the underside of the trivet where they fit together. Would like to see if they would fit inside my F1 storm kettle.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Dunno, not a gram weenie. Pellets give an hours burn and are clean safe and easy to carry. Plus I can feed with gathered wood too if required. Gathered wood doesn't burn for as long.

I tend to use pellets if using a woodgas stove. The fuel density is superb and moisture content is almost nil. I find any moisture in wood really affects woodgas stoves. I wouldnt contemplate taking one on a trip though unless it was a very dry climate. Id go for meths or a parrafin stove every time.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I can't say I've ever had a problem with a Bushbuddy or Bush Cooker, not tried these latest ones though.

Once they get going I find I can chuck on punky or damp wood up to thumb thick no bother and it soon burns nice and hot, I carry a meths burner for backup in case everything is well sodden though.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Nice mods mountainm, go you find that when packed way the pot support rim isn't held at all? I find that when i pack mine down, the 3 main parts of the body pack together no prob but that the pot support rim isn't held in any way, i've fiddled with trying to catch the pot support on the bottom of the grate but it doesn't play nice, a mod to hold it all together (yes i know elastic bands are probably the easiest thing to use) would be handy, maybe magnetising the rim?

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Nice mods mountainm, go you find that when packed way the pot support rim isn't held at all? I find that when i pack mine down, the 3 main parts of the body pack together no prob but that the pot support rim isn't held in any way, i've fiddled with trying to catch the pot support on the bottom of the grate but it doesn't play nice, a mod to hold it all together (yes i know elastic bands are probably the easiest thing to use) would be handy, maybe magnetising the rim?

Thanks.

Mine goes in an msr pot that's the perfect size so I don't really have an issue.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Thanks.

Mine goes in an msr pot that's the perfect size so I don't really have an issue.

Unfortunately I haven't got a pot of suffienct size to put mine in, although i'm eyeing up a Zebra 14" Sandwich Box tin to complete it (saw it in someone's review a few days ago) but can't seem to find any in stock anywhere :/

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE