Wildlife pictures

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I was shooting round our aphid infested rose bush this evening. I saw these flies hanging around flitting about avoiding the ants. I thought it was the same fly in all of them but I now it was not. All hand held using flash.

Fly1 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Fly2 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Here is one laying eggs. I couldn't tell where they were laid.

Fly-egg-laying-1 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Fly-egg-laying-2 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Fly-egg-laying-3 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Fly-egg-laying-4 by alf.branch, on Flickr

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
No problem at all.

Nikon D300 with Nikon 70-200 f2.8 some with a x2 convertor on which gives a maximum aperture of f5.6 (vibration reduction switched on, lens 'far lock' switch which allows it to disregard anything within 5m for faster autofocus)
Most on ISO 400 some in bright sun down to ISO 200
Shutter speed between 1650th up to 8000th of a second with camera set on aperture priority
Continuous autofocus setting with 9 points selected to give the camera a chance of locking on to such randomly fast moving objects!
On a ball headed tripod with just a smidge of resistance so I can follow the subject

My technique/settings are sound but i have to say it's the f2.8 glass that has made a real difference. I upgraded my lenses to 'pro' ones last year (the 24-70 f 2.8 and 70-200 f 2.8) and although damn pricey they really have made quite a difference to the quality of the image. Next move at some point is to go for a full frame camera....i really like the look of the D4s......sadly my bank manager doesn't lol

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
In a way, it is a funnel-web spider, since the webs they make do have a tunnel at the end, but it is no way related to the dangerous Australian funnel-webs, and should be regarded as harmless.

Can it bite you? Yes
Will it bite you? No (unless you go out of your way to pin it against your skin)
If it bites you would it be dangerous? No. Absolutely not.

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
In a way, it is a funnel-web spider, since the webs they make do have a tunnel at the end, but it is no way related to the dangerous Australian funnel-webs, and should be regarded as harmless.

Can it bite you? Yes
Will it bite you? No (unless you go out of your way to pin it against your skin)
If it bites you would it be dangerous? No. Absolutely not.

Thanks cheers mate for the info ,,,

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Now spiders don't win too many popularity contests, but a spider versus cleg fly? I expect most people on here would be cheering for the spider. Which is good, because the spider won easily. :cool:

14285443400_c7535fda81_b.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE