Wildlife pictures

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I shot this Crane Fly thinking these were eggs but when viewing the shots at home they seem to be mites of some sort. It has also lost 3 legs.

Crane-fly by alf.branch, on Flick

It's a tough life being a cranefly!

The mites are probably taking advantage of its weakened state from the damage in losing legs. they feed by piecing membranes at the joints and taking fluids, which weakens the insect further.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Right, the moth is an Angle Shades. The spider, assuming it is the same specimen in both shots, is Tetragnatha montana (the second one certainly is, no way to be sure about the first). After the spider is a sawfly that I won't be able to identify further on account of knowing nothing about sawflies, and the last is a short-nosed weevil, again no more I can tell you.

Deeply envious of your pictures though.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Stunning photos as usual Alf!
Thanks mate.

Right, the moth is an Angle Shades. The spider, assuming it is the same specimen in both shots, is Tetragnatha montana (the second one certainly is, no way to be sure about the first). After the spider is a sawfly that I won't be able to identify further on account of knowing nothing about sawflies, and the last is a short-nosed weevil, again no more I can tell you.

Deeply envious of your pictures though.
Thanks for the info Mike.
Those are 2 seperate spiders.

My PC has packed so no more pics for a little while.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Qwerty

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Ireland
www.instagram.com
Came around a bend in the track to see this guy/girl sitting very happily and in no hurry to move. For all the deer, squirrels etc. I do see, it's rare for me to come across an Irish hare.

mountainhare_zpsfae5e8ac.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE