Wildlife eating

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gillmacca

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
Swindon
Can anyone recommend a good book (paperback) on preparing and eating animals (rabbits, squirrels, fish, birds) in the wild (not kitchen)?

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Gill define what you want to know - cookery in the field is little different from cookery at home and most manuals cover the basics of cook fires. Infact some of the early articles I wrote for BCUK cover just such a subject so you might wanna check them out first.

If you can be more specific I might have an idea.

B lucky.

gillmacca

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
Swindon
What i mean is..if i am out camping/bushcrafting and I catch a rabbit, how do i prepare it (skinning, etc) and how to cook (time, recommendations) over a camp fire/camp stove

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Most manuals cover it mate - skinning ect is much of a muchness.

Cooking - check out the article I wrote on here which covers most aspects of cook fires including temperature guides recipes and other useful bits.

I dont know the link but I am sure one nice Moderator will let you know.

Any questions just ask.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
gillmacca said:
Can anyone recommend a good book (paperback) on preparing and eating animals (rabbits, squirrels, fish, birds) in the wild (not kitchen)?
I think it's about analyzing the situation. What animal you've got and which methods of preparing you've got. :wink: In a survival situation, cooking is far the best, cause the fat is saved. It will float on top of the water in the pot. Eat the fat also. If you roast the damn thing, you won't utilize all vitamins, etc. in the animal. :)

But analyze what you've got and which options there is for cooking. :wink: :pack:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE