Wilderness Tea

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Coffee.

Wild strawberry, blackberry leaf, crab apple and woodsorrel, rosehip and lemon balm.

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
Mint, Chamomile, raspberry are all fairly useful for tea and can be found wild, although there are plenty of herbs that can be found and used. I'm sure someone far more knowledgable will be along shortly.

Bakwas

Apr 29, 2015
Surrey
Thanks for the ideas. I was thinking more of leaves and fruits that I could just grab and stick in hot water or boil without having to process. That puts dandelion root and rosehip. I'm not a fan of mint and chamomile but there are plenty of pine around my way so will give that a go.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Any wild plants contain caffeine? I believe holly might but is it toxic?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If you run out of tea or coffee means your planning is fundamentally flawed and you should not be out in the wild camping.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
You could also learn to love drinking just boiled water! It may be rather Calvanistic of me but unless I'm in a cafe or at a friends I drink boiled water mainly. It's actually quite nice. Though I do enjoy various types of fruit and herbage in there if out in the wilds. I prefer larch over pine, juniper berries are nice. Wild sage or mint good too.
Don't flavours like Yorkshire teabags, think more like some Chinese teas where the first infusions are discarded and the more subtle later ones are enjoyed.
There's also a company that make ginger sweeties that they recomend and indeed are very tasty disolved into water to make a nice tea thats also good for the tummy.

I remembered the name of the ginger sweets that make a good drink they're called Gin Gins from a company called The Ginger People

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Last edited:

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
So when you're out in nature and ran out/ forgotten your tea bags what do you pick to make a brew with?

I would pick a fight with someone who has got some, when they are unconscious, make tea!

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
I'm not an expert on british biotopes, but when you mention pine, as a Swede, I'm thinking maybe there are blueberries? The leaves are good for tea.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant Bilberries. (Just looked it up)

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I'm not an expert on british biotopes, but when you mention pine, as a Swede, I'm thinking maybe there are blueberries? The leaves are good for tea.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant Bilberries. (Just looked it up)

Hi Pysen
Yes, where Im from, in Yorkshire, There are a number of places where Bilberries grow. On open moorland as well as in pine forests. The roe deer love them. I dont think they are as common further south in the UK though? Id never thought to make a tea out of them. They are just beginning to flower now.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
Well, then, just pull off the fresh leaves. A handful in the bottom of your cup, and pour boiling water over it. Steep for as long as suits your taste.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Well, then, just pull off the fresh leaves. A handful in the bottom of your cup, and pour boiling water over it. Steep for as long as suits your taste.

Ok, Ill try it, and let you know. ...:lmao:

Im waiting for the berries though, so i can use my new wicker basket and berry picker. :)

This is what they looked like a month ago, they are now covered in leaves and starting to flower.

Apparrently the tea is good for haemmorrhoids and diarreah, and aids digestion.

Im not much of a tea maker myself, wouldnt it be better dried first?

1431350954.4_FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Ground ivy is also supposed to make a nice tea, though I haven't tried it myself. There's a lot of it about right now.

I rarely feel the need for a brew when out, and just drink water when I want to drink. In cold weather then it is different, and I will make tea or coffee or hot chocolate just for the warmth.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE