WANTED Wax dye

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Found a load of tea lights chucked out, now have several pounds of paraffin wax.

Not to be sniffed at. I can now make some candles as Xmas gifts.

But...all white wax.

Anyone got some wax dye I can swap?

I can let you have some of my candles in return.

I have many other things!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you can find a couple of red ones, then they'll carry enough colour to successfully colour white wax.
I don't have any dye for wax left......you might try a little with a few bits of your rescued cheese wrapping wax ?...just a little though, see how it does.
I found the black one was really intense, and the green one ended up kind of murky, but the red worked.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Get a box of kids wax crayons and grate them up. I've not done it myself, but watched a yt video where this was done with good results.
I can dig out my candle making stuff, I may have some red candle colouring left. I havnt made any for yonks, but have been intending to for a while, so must get on with it!
I'll have a look later today when I've got time.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Hmmmm.

I have some red (and other colours) candles but they are good ones; I tend to keep those for emergencies. (not that there has been a lot here of late)

I tend to keep the cheese wax for cheese!

Im sure I have some crayons somewhere, have used them for colouring wax, but they dont seem to do that well.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You won't have 'lost' the candles, because you'll just have extra ones now :)

Crayons work, but I find they give more pastel shades.

You could just do a bit of colour and sort of swirl it through the wax. A little different maybe ?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've got some blue if you want it.
The red is almost gone, i need that for my candles, sorry.
It's a tiny tub but you only need a little to colour the wax as it's very intense.
I don't want anything for it, so I'll try and get it posted to you before the weekend, at latest Monday, as I'm busy trying to card 17 fleeces atm! It's a lot of work, and I'm hoping my friend has managed to pick up the carding drum tonight, as doing it by hand is doing me in! (to say nothing of ruining my hands with all the wire prongs on the hand carding paddles, I've actualy drawn blood a few times sticking them down my fingernails..ow!)
Anyway, yours if you want.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you are hand carding 17 fleeces you are one determined lady :)

Even on a drum carder that's a lot of hard work.

My wrists and elbows hate me carding these days :sigh:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
If you are hand carding 17 fleeces you are one determined lady :)

Even on a drum carder that's a lot of hard work.

My wrists and elbows hate me carding these days :sigh:
Don't I know it! It takes all day to hand card half a fleece.
My friend has sheep, and rather than throw this years rather tatty fleeces away, ( couldnt find a shearer until late july) we decided to try and peg loom some rugs to sell, so we decided to card the fleece and make them a bit nicer and sellable.
Spent most of the rest of the summer washing and drying them, now I am carding, before begining weaving on the massive peg loom her hubby made for her. Well, that's the plan. It's beautiful Jacob wool,
definatly not a quick and easy job. Are we regretting the idea?
I'll tell you after the first rug is made , and we are looking at 16 more!

• Wow
Reactions: Toddy

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thanks Woody Girl

I have been carding fleece, I picked some up and hope to make felt.

But that looks like a lot of graft.

Seventeen sounds grim. But hopefully you can do something good with them.

Our current attitude towards wool is terrible.

(But, the Wiltshire Horn is no longer a rare breed...)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Well T has just told me she has the rotary carding machine, so tomorrow should be much easier and quicker. Whoo hoo!
It needs a clean and a few of the spiky bits straightened up, but it will make life somewhat easier for us.
Only 16 and a half fleeces to go......
Tengu
I'll pop the candle wax colouring in the post Monday as I'm at T,s tomorrow all day, and I have stuff to do sat morning so won't make it to the P O in time. So you'll hopefully have it mid week.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE