wilderness gathering?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeS

Forager
Sep 5, 2005
Peterborough
Great weekend. Noticably bigger than last year, many stalls the same but loads of new ones. I could have spent even more of a fortune.

We camped in the woods and avoided all the rain and wind.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
This time ,I remembered to take my Tilley lamp.
Camped in the woods, two tents and a tarp between.

Well chuffed with the effectiveness of my home made "paint-tin" fire pot.
Pity about my mates kettle, it will never be the same, even after an hour trying to get the black off......I,ll get him a new one.

Seemed a bit short of woodpiles this year, plenty of rain, though.

Bundles of wet gear , still to dry out, sort out and repack...kids nowhere to be seen, naturally!

Daughter took to it suprising well, didnt want to go home and work.
Lad, not so enthused;like the animals , but miffed that there was no place to plug-in his amp......gawdelpus!

Thanks to James ( dunno if he member)for sharing the rabbit preparation, how come I did all the mucky bits, the poo pellets and giblets?....nice one fellah.

Ceeg

Aug 22, 2006
Swindon, Wiltshire
Yes, I agree, another wonderful event, & yes I could(did!) spend a fortune & only stopped when I ran out of money! - only to go to the "go lite" masterclass & realised I didn't need any of it :) - bugger.

Was it me or did anybody have hassles with unloading & loading in the camping field? - I had a run in with the scouts & the changing policy, not their fault I know, but it was very fustrating when you've got a truck load of kit ( I came with the family!) & they want you to cart it 1/2 a mile... I shall come on my own next year..less hassle

MikeS

Forager
Sep 5, 2005
Peterborough
GreenBoy said:
Yes, I agree, another wonderful event, & yes I could(did!) spend a fortune & only stopped when I ran out of money! - only to go to the "go lite" masterclass & realised I didn't need any of it :) - bugger.

Was it me or did anybody have hassles with unloading & loading in the camping field? - I had a run in with the scouts & the changing policy, not their fault I know, but it was very fustrating when you've got a truck load of kit ( I came with the family!) & they want you to cart it 1/2 a mile... I shall come on my own next year..less hassle

I agree it was quite a long walk to the woods (especially when you had to make 3 or 4 trips). We got there early and were only just inside the field. However that said its was a small price to pay for a weekend in the woods.

With reagrd to log piles we were OK, a couple of piles fairly close and loads of dry and dead wood lying around.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
It was great, the best yet. I think the weather added to the experience :D and certainly did'nt dampen anyone spirits.
Thanks to all those who came over and said hello, great to see you James (hopefully the next time it will be a little further afield ;) ) and Ceeg, Andy, Stu (and all the Tribe boys).
I think work is already afoot planning next years event - I can't wait :You_Rock_
Neil

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
My first one and I enjoyed it, good to put some faces to names. Nice to meet you Neil and leon.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Yup, all in all, it was a good doo.
Nice to meet N and L, though I forget, now, which had the beard.

Short attention span, you see: hard drive going.

Jeff, the knot man, was a real diversion for me, and very knowing ,with it. Great to have a good rat around his ditty- bag: well, you do, don,t you.
(Pity he,s a gingerbeer........... I aint never going to live it down):lmao: cheers Jeff.

Hell of a long trip, though. It seemed such a short break.

Daughter really latched on to things.....she,s out gathering nettles for cordage, as I speak.

So whats the inf, on the spring bushmoot?? ?? My Missis threatens interest.

It wasn,t really Lord Lucan at the shaving horse, was it?

Great post for the mis-use of punctuation marks! but, hell, who,s counting?

Ceeg

GearGuru

Forager
Jun 7, 2006
Market Deeping
My first Gathering and I enjoyed it. I did like having the stalls there to buy things but blew my budget on the first day (Cheap Ventile jacket). That farm needs a cashpoint (maybe a good job there wasn't thinking about it - Remember your cheque book as most traders acept it but not cards) . It was interesting to compare it with the BCUK moot. I found that the gathering was more of a sit/stand and listen type thing, which I didn't enjoy nearlly as much as the hands on approach to the moot. I think if you can engage with what you're doing by trying it yourself, it makes learning more effective. I can't believe the Sun came out as we where leaving on the Sunday :cussing:

leon-1

Well I had a good time, it was good to meet everyone. Scott, Steve, Seagull, Falcon, Brian, Bruce, Liz, Jamie, Pete, Jenny, Paul, Adrian, Tom, John and the many others that dropped in to say hello, you helped to keep what remains of my sanity intact, many thanks and it was a pleasure to meet you all (again in some cases and for the first time in others):D.

Steve K

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2004
Eastleigh, Hampshire
I had a great time too. It was great to escape the building work at home (we're having an extention built) and enjoy the fresh air. The taster sessions were good but I did miss some because I was to busy chatting.

It was good to put faces to names and catch up with others too.

Neil, I didn't introduce myself to you, but we did pass each other I was pitched in the woods with a hammock just past Leon, evertime I passed the Bison stand you were busy selling stuff. Next time.

Were there wood piles? I just found plenty of wood laying around.

Cheers
Steve

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Thoroughly enjoyed the Gathering as usual...all the atmosphere of a pleasant country show with lots of other things thrown in and one or two "helpful" people relieving me of some money...you know who you are :lmao: . Great to catch up with a whole load of people, including Leon, Neil and others who don't do forums but who are always good company at the WG

Woody

Forager
Hi all,

I just thought I would take the opportunity now that we have finally got all the kit sorted and played catch-up back at the office to thank every one who took the time to come and say “hello” and made us so welcome at the gathering. It was our first but will definitely not be our last.
A big “thank you” to Roger and all his team for a very well organised and conducted event. In the true spirit of bushcraft there was plenty of “skills swapping” and the whole atmosphere was very friendly, social and relaxed. We met many old friends and made even more new. If any one out there was in two minds about attending the gathering alone or with the family I can whole heartedly recommend it for both. From the budding bushcrafters in the “Coyote Kids” club to us “grown ups” perusing the vast array of “Shiny things” on offer there was something for every one.

Thanks again Roger, see you and hopefully many more next year,

Woody and all the team at Bushcraft Expeditions

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Hi woody, thanks for the advice about the boots. Will maybe see you on a course one day. You get your knife back in the end?

Jul 8, 2005
Derbyshire
Hi Woody,

Great to meet you at the Gathering and thanks for the chat. It is reasuring to see that so many of us are 'singing from the same hymn sheet'. I look forward to meeting with you again.

Ian
(Woodland Survival Crafts)

May 5, 2006
Somerset
I would also like to thank Rodger & Co for a great weekend and as a trader thanks to all who saw fit to buy of us , it was great to talk to so many people with similar ideas and so many people with a wealth of experince in such a diverse range of subjects.
Simon (Bushtrader-UK)

Fire Starter

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2005
England
I went on the (so called) Masterclass on lightweight bushcraft - I must say I felt a bit ripped off with that one. The rest of the gathering was good though. After hearing Max, I definitely plan to book on one of his courses. The guy who did the traps and snare (Drieard Bushcraft ) would get sued if he was in America - using a young lad's hand to test a snare is not the best idea, I think. On a better note, Dave Watson has to be the king of the "firestarters" and meeting Woody was good as he is a very approachable fellow. I really enjoyed Patrick's talk on fishing (I wish I had gone to his netmaking masterclass now) and the Backwoods display was astounding. All in all the WG is still worth my hard earned bucks and I'll go back next year

What did yous guys think?

Ps. Why was the BCUK not there this year? I know they have attended previously! and does anyone know why Woodlore or Woodsmoke never make a pressence

Hi to Fire Starter - I also attended what I believe was the "Less Is More" Master Class <?> at Wilderness Gathering.

I thought that the few quid I paid for the 3 hours was money well spent.

Gadzooks, I've now learnt that my sleeping bag doesn't need to take up1 1/3 of my 120ltr bergen! :cool: and that I really don't have to carry the proverbial kitchen sink!

Regards,

Phil.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE