wild food

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Always trying stuff - not dead yet so it must be turning out OK!
Rabbit, spit roasted over an oak chip fire, or trout on a greenstick grill have to be favourites so far for protien.
A mixed warm salad of Wall Pennywort, beechleaves and Jack-by-the-hedge takes some beating in spring - roast chestnuts or chestnut puree in autumn as highly rated
Blackberry and apple in any form is a winner but wild strawberry jam.....MMMMMmmmmm.!
Nastertium leaves and flowers as a warm or cold salad are peppery, the pickled seeds great with game, as is rowan jelly.
The list is endless!

Red Kite

Nomad
Oct 2, 2006
London UK
At the Bushmoot I was looking forward to trying the Rabbit from the Hangi, because I'd not had rabbit before and I couldn't believe myself, I didnt like it! I've liked every meat I've had up until that point. :eek:

I've had secveral people say the same - and rabbit meat can be an acquired taste. But try it in a stew with winter veg, chillie and paprika and it transforms the taste.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Yesterday I ate fungi we collected in the forest. We even ate some blue ones! You had to peel of the top skin, it came of really easily, looked funny.

Today sarah found another mushroom we ate.. :)

riddleofsteel

Tenderfoot
Jun 29, 2005
above ground
Crawfish boiled, be sure to pinch the tails and suck the heads.

Frog legs fried or roasted

wild persimmons, remove the seeds, mash and sweeten with honey or sugar if you have it mix with cat tail flour until pastey and bake

rabbit roasted or fried, make gravy from the grease if you fry it and pour over cat tail flour cakes

:headbang:

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I've eaten freshly caught rabbit on a farm in France but it was cooked in a kitchen. They
wouldn't tell me what it was before I ate it, but it was edible enough. I also tried frogs'
legs but I drew the line at snails.

I had a yam (don't think it was that wild :p ) cooked on embers which was "salivating as
I type" delicious, as well as corn on the cob which we burned a bit, but still tasty.

Presumably toasted marshmallows doesn't count...

I wish I was less frightened of sea food - the thought of it, let alone the appearance, puts
me off.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I have just managed to post on the galleries.. 1 grey ready for the pot + for those that have not come across a mixy rabbit yet I've posted a couple that I shot recently gives you some idea what they look like

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE