Wild camp security... needs a mention.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Sleeping under a "pine tent" is incredible. The smell, the soothing sound of the needles. The only negative is that the roots can be just on top of the soil, but are easy to cover with a layer of branches.

The only animals that have encroached on me are Lemmings. They are unafraid for a sleeping human for some reason. Squashed a few putting my foot in the boots.
Snakes ( including adders) are very afraid of humans. I have seen many, but as soon as you get closer they get away.
I am insure if they move around night time, I do not think so. I have even eaten a few.
My dad tought me how to catch them with a stick.

Bears is my phobia!
When I used to fish and camp in northern Sweden I always carried a Ruger .357 loaded with hunting ammo.
Crazy yes, but made me feel safer.

Last edited:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I've slept out in woods, forests, deserts and meadows all over the world and have never really concerned myself with the worry that someone was going to rob me.

Having been bought up by a media and society that thinks that behind every tree lurks a rapist just waiting for me to let my guard down, it took me a few trips to get that idea out of my head and be comfortable alone in the woods at night. It wasn't helped that I was assaulted on the way out to the woods (200 yards from my front door) on one of my first trips out.

I find that when I arrive at my chosen site I sit, usually with my back to a tree and listen. Spend half hour in twilight listening. You start to work out what are the normal sounds of the site you've chosen, what is the creek of a tree in the wind, what is the rustle of a squirrel in the canopy. This means that when you're laying in your bivvi bag you know what sounds right, and what doesn't.

When I camped in storm Desmond one of the problems I had was that the wind was so loud that I couldn't hear anything other than the white noise of the wind. Then to make this worse every time the wind blew the ground shook, which also messes with the senses...

Bivviing on Montserrat in northern Spain I was visited by an angry dog that barked like mad, and scared the carp out of me. It took me a few minutes for my heart rate to calm down enough. Fortunately it didn't bite me, but it's bark was not pleasant at 10" from my face.

However I have woken to find foxes, squirrels, deer etc wandering near or through my campsite, if I'm still they'll sniff around and I can watch them, for me thats part of the joy of using a tarp. The last thing I want is for a siren or strobe to kick off in the wee small hours.

Aye on the Montserrat trip I was visited by a Boar 3 times, the first two times it just wandered by, but the 3rd time it approached. I did feel rather scared, I could tell it was a boar by it's noise, and I know that an angry boar can cause an adult human considerable damage. I was also acutely aware that I was in a bivvi bag with no zip, and with nothing that could be used to defend myself. Fortunately it scarpered when I moved to look at it. If it had been a bear and I was in bear country, I have no idea what would have happened. Tho had I known that there was boar about I wouldn't have stored my food in my pack next to my head...

Closer to home I woke one morning to find a badger had walked through the middle of camp, ignored the food scraps I'd left on a plate (I don't mind feeding the local wild life at this permission), taken a carp in my fire, and moved on... No respect... :p

J

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....Im terrified of snakes, and i read that one environment an adder likes is within the roots a pine tree. So therefore, i aint braving lying below one. Terrifies me that they would slither out in the night.

This is the only camp security i consider. Never even seen an adder before and i know its a very irrational fear, but i religiously check my boots each morning, zip my tent doors up when out etc just incase.

Id actually prefer an Axe murderer to visit my camp than a snake :lmao:

Snakes are one of my fears as well. Along with gators, and to a lesser degree, bears. We don't have Adders here but some species of Rattlesnakes also like pines.

.....Snakes ( including adders) are very afraid of humans. I have seen many, but as soon as you get closer they get away.
I am insure if they move around night time, I do not think so......

Most snakes I have here hunt at night as well as daylight; and Moccasins aren't afraid of anything. I've had them deliberately swim towards (and into) the boat.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Snakes are one of my fears as well. Along with gators, and to a lesser degree, bears. We don't have Adders here but some species of Rattlesnakes also like pines.

Given that snakes can kill you very easily and we have little defence against them, I'd say that it's pretty damn rational to have a fear of snakes. Ophidiophobia being the proper name for it...

Snakes scare the carp out of me and it's something I am very apprehensive of when visiting southern Europe, and the idea of laying a swag out in the aussie bush *shudder*

Most snakes I have here hunt at night as well as daylight; and Moccasins aren't afraid of anything. I've had them deliberately swim towards (and into) the boat.

YAAAAAARGH!

By comparison to the rest of the world our adders are basically harmless, sure they have venom but the number of adults killed by them is fewer than the number killed by Biscuits, or vending machines, or trousers...

But when you leave our shores then the number and variety of venomous snakes is mind boggling.

Someone on here mentioned that they had a python crawl into their sleeping bag with them one night. I have no idea how I would react in such situations, fight, or flight...

Given the choice, I'll take the boar or the bear over the snake.

J

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I've had them deliberately swim towards (and into) the boat.

You are lucky! Easy food! :)
The snakes in northern Europe are very shy and difficukt to catch.
Snake phobia I think is what every person has. It took my dad quite a long time to teach me to overcome it and how to catch them.

Please do not think I am some kind of nutcase eating snakes. They make a good emergency food, usually the easiest protein laden food you can get summertime without a gun or fishing opportunities.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Snake phobia I think is what every person has. It took my dad quite a long time to teach me to overcome it and how to catch them.

I'm pretty sure it's a good survival instinct to have, given how easily you can be fatally wounded by one...

Please do not think I am some kind of nutcase eating snakes. They make a good emergency food, usually the easiebst protein laden food you can get summertime without a gun or fishing opportunities.

As much as I like the idea of extirpating the entire snake population of Europe, the environmentalist in me appreciates that they have a key role in your ecosystem and need to be preserved, especially as many are on the endangered list.

That said I don't want to find one on the foot path, in my camp, or anywhere near my bed...

J

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The European Adder is not lethal for a healthy adult. You get a large swelling, that is all. Plus it hurts. I have never been bitten, but dad was during one of his "lessons".
Happened around 42 years ago, and he (dad) is still alive!

There are plenty of adders in all of Europe, except Ireland I believe?
Yes, all animals play a role, without exception.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Please do not think I am some kind of nutcase eating snakes. They make a good emergency food, usually the easiest protein laden food you can get summertime without a gun or fishing opportunities.

They're pretty easy to catch (kill) here as well. Not sure they're the easiest though (plenty of other easy critters about as well) Loads of folks here also eat them, especially rattlers.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The European Adder is not lethal for a healthy adult. You get a large swelling, that is all. Plus it hurts. I have never been bitten, but dad was during one of his "lessons".
Happened around 42 years ago, and he (dad) is still alive!...

Relatively few fatalities here also. None-the-less, as QG said, the potential is there and usually in hidden places.

When I was in Nevada my fear expanded to include scorpions (the black desert scorpions there were fatal more often that not)

Nic Le Becheur

Forager
Sep 10, 2015
Ludlow
A Jordanian friend once told me the story of how her grandfather, a Bedouin, found that, one cold night a rock python had decided to share his tent and was curled around him for warmth. Fortunately he remembered what he had been taught. 1) Don't panic or make any sudden move or noise. The python will only tense up, and you might find yourself unable to breathe. 2) Start humming slowly gently to yourself, because a) It helps settle your nerves, and b) The rhythmic vibrations will relax the snake. Eventually it relaxed and uncoiled, and slithered away. Useful to know, I thought.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
When I was a dog handler, I would often be out at 0400, "slopping out" the dogs, ready to leave for work. One morning(July time)I spotted something large & white in the hedge line about 150yds away, while I was wondering what it was, the "boys" scented/saw it made a direct assault on the position....all I saw as I started to run over, was the big lad grab it, rag it, then run off with it, followed by others, yep it was a continental quilt with a drunk young fella wrapped up in it, he yelled a few choice words & threats, which the big one took literally, turned dropped the quilt...my distance command was good & they all stayed where they were(luckily !), said drunk young fella then just staggered off .
I searched the site, found numerous empty lager cans(no drugs/needles) & the receipt for the quilt, it was brand new, purchased from Asda(half a mile away)along with his drink.

Rob

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Only ever had two incidents while wild camping of someone wandering into my camp. In both cases it still makes me wonder what on earth they were doing out there. Their attire was in no way anything that a camper of any description would wear. In both cases my guest was in no mood to reason with and very very unfriendly. As i say it was while wild camping and I do mean wild. I simply covered over the bodies and moved on, don't suppose they have ever been found or missed!

Someone on here mentioned that they had a python crawl into their sleeping bag with them one night. I have no idea how I would react in such situations, fight, or flight...

J

it wasn't a sleeping bag but a bed in an open shelter style house when I had a python trying to cuddle with me one night--- I just asked monty nicely to leave and she/he left:rolleyes:
I had on several other occasions visits from wildlife, incl.once a pack of dingos close-by -- we had a really nice howling competition and chatted about the weather:cool:
and once I woke up with a spider in my ear....

the only animal which really worry me is humans and I minimize risk of hostilities by keeping my camp quiet (""stealth camping"")---- in fact I cannot sleep (well) with humans close-by (= sharing a room in hostels etc.) and find the thought of a homo sapiens trying to cuddle with me far ​more scary than a python trying to do so.....

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
(Reminder for myself: do not camp in a hedge in Lincolnshire, as the locals have feroucious hungry dogs)

Lol ! sadly now they've all crossed rainbow bridge so you are safe !.

In the same area, this time in winter, we found another drunk(possibly the same young fella ?), without a coat or jumper curling up under a bush, he was cold, disoriented, having left the road to use the toilet & got lost, put my coat on him, & managed to get him home, which was only a few hundred yards away, & no one got bitten !

Rob

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
"find the thought of a homo sapiens trying to cuddle with me far ​more scary than a python trying to do so....."
That would depend on which particular member of homo sapiens was doing the cuddling...

Big Si

Dec 27, 2005
nottinghamshire
I slept in most places around the uk, some wild camps some not, I stopped worrying about the dark and boggie men years ago, I now sleep with ear plugs in as the wild life tends to keep me awake, I suppose my snoring warns most people where I am anyway. If i'm going any where that I perceive to be a very iffy, I move or if it's the only option I'll take the dog with me. I've found sleeping in the hedge bottom to be very comfortable and not to many people look or walk in there, very easy to get curled up and covered up out the way. An old army trick I'm told, saves on the digging.

Si

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I really loath snakes. Constrictors don't bother me too much (but don't fancy meeting something like an anaconda).

Poisonous snakes make my flesh creep and I hated the idea of waking up to one in Australia, or in my boots. It's a very real possibility in the area I lived; you don't want to be bitten by a Tiger snake. Dugites not so much of a threat, they are timid and the venom isn't so potent. Still a horrible prospect and they were so common it was very usual to go bushwalking and not come across a Dugite.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE