Wild camp security... needs a mention.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
I saw a similar idea a few months ago on youtube. I left a comment along the lines that, if I was woken abruptly at 3am by a siren and a flashing light I would die from a multiple heart attack, even if it was my own siren and flashing light. Bear in mind that an animal might trigger it. If you are nervous (nowt wrong with that) then taking a doggie along is a good idea as at least the dog will give you a sense of security, but put it on a lead so it doesn't wander off and worry animals, or bite someone.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Oh my... you had to bring up my kryptonite! She was my teen crush!

Could have something to do with my next 3 life partners having Carol in their name... but it might not have... who knows lol

Her and Belinda Carlisle... Belinda was the spitting image of my girlfriend at the time. Blimey I was a lucky boy back then.

Anyway... what was the thread about again? :lmao:

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Oh my... you had to bring up my kryptonite! She was my teen crush!

Could have something to do with my next 3 life partners having Carol in their name... but it might not have... who knows lol

Her and Belinda Carlisle... Belinda was the spitting image of my girlfriend at the time. Blimey I was a lucky boy back then.

Anyway... what was the thread about again? :lmao:

Brody Dalle was my teenage crush, still is :lmao: but aye you where a lucky lad!

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Guys if you are approached at night "wild camping" you had better get the legalities right.

That dog attacks? Kiss him goodbye.

A land owner can use reasonable force to eject you from private land.

You wave that machete at him? Assault with a deadly weapon. Go to jail, go directly to jail.

Bought a crossbow, a catapult? That could be a number of offences. See point above. Get a lawyer.

Be safe.

Well that escalated quickly. You don't think that's a slight over-reaction to the discussion thus far? ;)

i think you would need to have warning signs for cctv all over the place for this to be valid in court.

That's what we lawyers call nonsense.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Brody Dalle? Not heard of her. What band was she in? Or was she solo?

Thinking about it... who was the girl in Transmission Vamp? I was rather fond of her.

Music was much better back then... my kids would disagree and they complain every time we go for a drive and I play my favourites... even more so when the AC DC mood hits me.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Brody Dalle? Not heard of her. What band was she in? Or was she solo?

Thinking about it... who was the girl in Transmission Vamp? I was rather fond of her.

Music was much better back then... my kids would disagree and they complain every time we go for a drive and I play my favourites... even more so when the AC DC mood hits me.

The distillers. Check out their live set on YouTube at reading festival. I was in the crowd! As good now as she was in 99!

Wendy James you're thinking of with transmission vamp

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Must admit to liking Ms Dekker myself. But then I've always had a thing for redheads. Very large proportion of my partners have been redheaded.
They're good for camp security too, can have a fierce temper.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I like to think when i am out in the woods at night that i am the thing that goes bump, at 18 stone and the ability to pass for a bear when naked anyone who comes to my camp looking for trouble would probably get a little more than they were looking for. Have to say like it has never ever happened when in nature and the further away from human settlements the better and safer a nights sleep i get, here in the city s h t f on a regular basis, although i take solace (but i am not lulled into a false sense of serenity) that it has been at least 18 months since i last had to deal with one of my neighbours in the only way they understand

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Wendy James :D I liked her... and blimey, she's still going! Just seen her latest album.. you might want to censor the cover from those who don't appreciate the female form mind!

MarkN

Jan 13, 2015
Dorset
I've camped in a lot of different places from Africa to Europe, on my motorbike, in the car and on foot and in all my time I can honestly say that I've never had anything taken or been attacked during the night. Ask yourself, would you approach someone's camp when they were there, asleep or not? I know I wouldn't and I'm 6' and fairly fit.
The weirdest thing I've ever experienced was in the desert of Morocco where myself and a mate went into out tents late at night and when we woke up in the morning there were three locals asleep around the remains of our fire! We hadn't heard them arrive or had we heard them keep the fire going during the night. We had quite a chat with them in the morning when then made us tea etc. If anyone was ever going to take anything, they could have stripped us bare during the night as the keys were still in the bikes and we had kit everywhere but they were good, honest people who were only happy to share what we all had.

MountainGhost

Feb 10, 2016
United Kingdom
I've slept out in woods, forests, deserts and meadows all over the world and have never really concerned myself with the worry that someone was going to rob me.

However I have woken to find foxes, squirrels, deer etc wandering near or through my campsite, if I'm still they'll sniff around and I can watch them, for me thats part of the joy of using a tarp. The last thing I want is for a siren or strobe to kick off in the wee small hours.

To each his own though.

:)

Reminds me of an incident. Two years ago in Rothiemurcus I drifted off in my hammock and tarp to be awoken abruptly by my smartphone powering down. There was a deer of some kind feet from where I was. The powering down tone spooked the deer and it let off the most almighty roar/bark I've ever heard from deer. Woke me up sharp!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Using cameras and alarms in the wild is taking paranoia to a new level.
I select my sleeping area to be safe from falling branches, that is all. If I sleep without a tent I try to find a pine tree where the lowest branches go all the way to the ground. The ground there is usually soft from the needles, and it is cosy and dry.

MountainGhost

Feb 10, 2016
United Kingdom
I like to think when i am out in the woods at night that i am the thing that goes bump, at 18 stone and the ability to pass for a bear when naked anyone who comes to my camp looking for trouble would probably get a little more than they were looking for.

I'd go with this one. Be the fear that compels you. Like Batman. Or Bearman in this case.

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
I dont worry about people myself, im of the same thought that im probably the scariest thing within that area. (Human anyway)

I select my sleeping area to be safe from falling branches, that is all. If I sleep without a tent I try to find a pine tree where the lowest branches go all the way to the ground. The ground there is usually soft from the needles, and it is cosy and dry.

Ive been wanting to try this after reading it somewhere else.
But the one thing i do have an irrational fear of in the wild prevents me from trying it.
Im terrified of snakes, and i read that one environment an adder likes is within the roots a pine tree. So therefore, i aint braving lying below one. Terrifies me that they would slither out in the night.

This is the only camp security i consider. Never even seen an adder before and i know its a very irrational fear, but i religiously check my boots each morning, zip my tent doors up when out etc just incase.

Id actually prefer an Axe murderer to visit my camp than a snake :lmao:

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Quite a number of years ago I was given a cheap wind-up/dynamo type radio, not something I would normally take out with me for a night in the woods but I thought ‘why not’ it was a very calm night though raining steadily as I laid in the hammock under the tarp listening to the said radio, I was on the point of falling asleep and thinking I don’t need to turn off the radio it will just fade away as the charge runs down…suddenly the tarp vanished from above my head in the same sort of way that a magician might whip a table cloth from under a table full of crockery. It’s the only time I have ever fallen out of a hammock and it was also the last time I ever took a radio and headphones out with me…………….I never did find out where the Horse had learned to do that trick.

D.B.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE