Wild camp security... needs a mention.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Iain Lawrence

Nov 7, 2015
Swinton, South Yorkshire
It has to be in the back of peoples minds as to what happens on a wild camp once there eyes close at the end of an amazing active day
in the great outdoors. Who is lurking around your tent/bivi/hammock?
This could be an answer? Something I've done for some years now and it gives me piece of mind to know that if anything happens I have it documented.
Also if you have to leave your camp area for any period of time.
I have also in the past rigged up a personal security alarm using strong fishing wire, which when walked through pulls the alarm pin and send the person/animal scattering with it's loud noise and flashing LED.
Just a thought for you all to consider.
Hit the link and take a look.
(yes that's me in my bivi, my hammock set up and wondering around in the dark feeding my slop food to the animals lol)

[video=youtube;m08L-r2GGCc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m08L-r2GGCc[/video]

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
That's a point. But attack me in my camp, a 6'2 skinhead sharpening a machete, well you've made enough effort to deserve my stuff!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You are far more likely to be attacked on a city street in broad daylight and still more so in your own by someone you know.

Far better to become comfortable in the dark and the woods than to fuel your own paranoia

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Iain, I was an active camper for the best part of fifty years and only really had three issues in that time.

Camera stolen from my tent in France

Plugs stolen from my air bed (not the airbed, just the plugs)

Three of us on a Youth Hostel trip had all our food stolen

So in a nutshell, no I don't worry about camp security.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
In all honesty, when me and my lad were planning our first trip out together, we decided to buy a bag of party poppers and some cheap paracord. The idea was that we'd wedge the poppers in the trees, then set up trip wires attached to the poppers, so if anything came within 25 yards of where we were camping, we'd know about it.

Sounds daft and silly now, but at the time we were talking about it, it sounded like a great idea.

After our first trip out together the pair of us laughed about it... we didn't set up any trip wires, the party poppers ended up being popped for a laugh at a meet. We talked about it and both decided that the reason we'd even thought of the idea in the first place is that we're so used to living in an urban environment where we lock our doors every night (thinking that gives us any sort of security??) we'd both been nervous about sleeping outdoors without that locked door. Once we'd done it though, we realised just how silly that was.

If you're paranoid that someone will creep up in the middle of the night, fair play to you... but realistically the camera is only of use to someone who wants to capture some good footage of nocturnal animals... if a person comes to your camp and steals from you, how likely do you think it is to get PC Plod to investigate? They won't investigate burglaries on houses... but you think they'll be studying poorly visible footage because someone stole your baked beans?

On top of that, on the meets I've been on, the people attending are what could be considered as heavily armed... it'd take a brave person so wander themselves onto a meet site and nick a pack of dried noodles! :p

NarzaCyst

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2014
Cardiff
Or if you have a dog, bring em along. The dog will hear anything before you do and will alert you due to being spooked, providing the dog of fairly well trained / not deaf!

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Or if you have a dog, bring em along. The dog will hear anything before you do and will alert you due to being spooked, providing the dog of fairly well trained / not deaf!

Guys if you are approached at night "wild camping" you had better get the legalities right.

That dog attacks? Kiss him goodbye.

A land owner can use reasonable force to eject you from private land.

You wave that machete at him? Assault with a deadly weapon. Go to jail, go directly to jail.

Bought a crossbow, a catapult? That could be a number of offences. See point above. Get a lawyer.

Be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I've slept out in woods, forests, deserts and meadows all over the world and have never really concerned myself with the worry that someone was going to rob me.

However I have woken to find foxes, squirrels, deer etc wandering near or through my campsite, if I'm still they'll sniff around and I can watch them, for me thats part of the joy of using a tarp. The last thing I want is for a siren or strobe to kick off in the wee small hours.

To each his own though.

:)

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Its never really worried me as we normally are in a group of two or three, on the solo nights I have done, I've just found I go to sleep earlier, and get up earlier, but its still not a worry, I normally would find a pitch way out of the way, so for someone to come across me would be difficult,

I think you are worrying too much, for me that means your not really getting the most, perhaps Solo is not for you.

One other thing that did worry more is putting food out for wild animals that close to your pit, the fact your encouraging them will get your food stolen, and kit damaged while they do it, I try to keep away from any trail that I can see, I would rather have Rice Krispies in the morning, then the local badger find them..

One thing that has occurred to me, are you new to wild camping... lots of people find it threating first few time, just find a couple of peeps to go with, join a group, you soon feel secure with out unesserceary kit/effort

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...You are far more likely to be attacked on a city street in broad daylight and still more so in your own by someone you know..."

What he said.

I've had stuff stolen but in all cases it was during the trip to and from places abroad or at home that things went missing and as far as being attacked goes, again I've only even been worried on my return to 'civilisation'.

:)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Not much to worry about really.....its not as if 'charlie' might ping your fox hole before you can blow the claymores or anything

Only thing i would say is that if you are trespass camping and you hear someone knocking around, give them plenty of chance to identify themselves before you risk being convicted of "gransfors with intent" LMAO

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Party poppers are a great aid in trap planning and thinking. They have to be sprung/preloaded mechanisms to fire the party popper but loads of fun. Just remember to take the streamer bits out as they get everywhere. Separate hair trigger mechanisms using black/green cotton thread as the trip wire. Then add the psychology of funneling prey into the right place..

Then its a case of getting a "friend" to make his way upto camp without springing one. :)

Starts off fun and then starts to get incredibly taxing looking for every turned leaf or branch out of place. Then you start realize how horrendous this must be on a daily basis for those in conflict areas where it actually matters.

As for traps and things for folk creeping up,, I am usually too tired to be bothered.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The camera Will be nice for the crime scene guys at their Christmas party as they drink and try to figure out where your body went. :eek:
Just kidding, it's okay to be worried a wee bit when heading out but in the UK animals really won't bother you. As Sandbender said it's a real treat if an animal comes into camp. I like watching them, it's one of the reasons I head out. As o folks coming into camp if you avoid areas with boozed up fishermen then I doubt you'll have trouble. Only time I've had night visitors has been when gatekeeper or studies on exercise have stumbled near to camp. They've a legal reason to be there and I've always invited them in for a brew and a chat. You pick up good info and some goodwill. Plus if you have traps around the camp they peppers and studies are likely to be less than pleased and think you're up to something.
Maybe the first couple of times take a mate, or a dog. But taking time to chill out and tune into your new environment Will soon alay any worries you may have and you'll have see what a wonderful thing it is to be alone with yourself and nature.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Looking at Iain's other thread though... he's an experienced wild camper. He's camped all over the place.

I reckon he needs a night at one of the meets... they really do put you at ease if you're at all nervous because the guys who attend are always helpful, knowledgeable and a good laugh.

beezer

Forager
Oct 13, 2014
lockerbie
i think you would need to have warning signs for cctv all over the place for this to be valid in court. if your worried about being attack at night maybe you should find a new camp area.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Antique man traps are available online and with modern springs would be perfectly servicable :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE