Wild Boar in our forest

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Sjeez - just keep away from the females when they have young and also steer clear when the boars are in rut. We have loads of them around here and I am never bothered by them. They are in hiding during the day (spruces and holly shrubs for resting places) and will mostly be nocturnally active - unless fed by humans - off course.

A bit of controlled culling won't hurt either. Numbers where sharply up the last two years, but I spoke a couple of companion hunters yesterday and they told me that where they hunt in Belgium and Germany, the population has been in decline during the last winter. They even cancelled a couple of planned hunts.

-Emile

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
I heard that thing was from a canned hunt, and it had been fed up to be so huge. Anyone else heard that, any truth to it?

Not really sure, but there are other large boar pictures out there.

I just can't work out which of the little piggies that one is.

I know from bygone days of wild boar hunting they used spears with a stop behind the blade to stop the boar from running up the shaft to attack the hunter.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
I heard that thing was from a canned hunt, and it had been fed up to be so huge. Anyone else heard that, any truth to it?

Everything I've read about that picture, which created quite a stir when it hit the net, indicates it was a real kill. The gun is a .50 caliber.

FYI, I'm pretty sure the kid was not *standing* behind the hog, just to help with the frame of reference.

In any event, it's a very big one, about 900 pounds. I know of several taken in Louisiana in that general size range. But it's on the upper end of normal.

500-700 pounds is a BIG hog and if you've ever seen a 500 pound hog in the wild, you don't forget it! About 300 pounds is a mid-range (not small, not big) size for an adult male.

As a historical note, the feral hogs in North America are not native (the pecary is our native boar like animal, much smaller, not aggressive although scary looking).

Our "boars" today were brought by the Spaniards: Tey would herd pigs along with them for food on explorations and some would get away and go feral, becoming more boarlike as time passed.

They've been a big problem in the North America since colonial times -- in the 1700s there were huge efforts in the south to eradicate the wild hogs.

They did particular damage to native American corn and bean crops and the wild pigs were responsible for famines so severe among the natives that some tribes were wiped out....

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Hogzilla was DNA tested and it was shown to a hybrid between a wild boar and a domestic hog (a Hampshire in fact.)

The Tusks were measured at 28 inches (71 cm) and 19 inches (48 cm) This was a U.S. record.

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
that kid must have some strong arms to fire a 50 cal pistol!
reminds me of the scene in the dukes of hazzard with the father and son chasing the dukes and firing the 'whammy' shells at the general lol

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Problem solved then Rod, just apply to the chief constable for an FAC, stating your reasons for requirement and the firearm required, in this case a .50 cal handgun, for use in a public forest, i'm sure he/she will understand, and rush through your application !.

Rob

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I live near the Forest of Dean and often walk (and occasionally sleep) in the woods. I have seen loads of fallow deer - and, in fact, make sure I get into the forest a few times during the rut so I can spot them - but no boar. Where am I going wrong? I'd love to see them - perhaps those of us in Glos. should get some expert guidance and arrange a boar shoot (with cameras, of course)?

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Well personally I think it was a good idea for the boar to be re-released and it offers such an opportunity for trackers, hunters and photographers alike. The fact is why are people scared of them? For one, its only been a few years since they were released and so are quite human friendly. Another thing, is that there are still more frightenening things in our british countryside today has everyone forgotten about the big cats? Which are not fiction at all (trust me I've seen one.)

I think its a brilliant opportunity to get a species that belongs in the UK back into the UK. and just think when the population becomes too high, and being pigs it will.. quickly!, then there will more than likely be a call for culling them and even possibly a season much like the deer in scotland. :) The bottom line is I like the idea and being a hunter its a great opportunity to have such a species right on our doorstep that would bring a whole new perspective on hunting bigger game in the UK.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
A few years ago, three wild boar escaped from a local farm, into Chopwell Wood and started causing havoc.

It wasn't so bad at first, with just the occasional dog walker having to make a hasty retreat, but once they started building houses, well, that was too much!

First one built a straw hut,
the second; a northern lean to shelter
and the third; a three bedroom, brick semi!:eek:

Seriously though; the FC ended up getting a marksman in, to shoot them, before they could breed. They had been digging up residents gardens, frightening the cack out of horses and riders and there were real concerns regarding the numerous primary school groups who use the Forest Classroom, for field trips.

The best bit for me was when they ( the boars) decided to start digging up the golf course, which, in fact; created even more 'wild bores'!:rolleyes:

Actually, I wondered at the time, if it wasn't the fact that they had strayed onto the golf course that sealed the boars fate:bluThinki

Anyway, they were shot and then BURIED!:eek:
What a total waste.

R.B.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE