Why so anti?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Raikey.
I got the stat from wikipedia (so did not instantly believe it), as well as other internet sites and forums. To be honest, it was not a long term interest of mine lol, but another poster mentioned a wagon wheel forum, and so I just had to look for it out of curiosity. I did also know that Arnott was not a UK company.

I had thought of mentioning spangles, but would have needed to add pacers too, as well as the original space dust; bazooka jo's, and half penny black jacks and fruit salads (the half penny ones were the best lol)

All washed down with cresta or barrs lemonade, unless you were posh and had a soda siphon (in the pre soda stream days). OK I have gone so far down memory Lane, I'm worn out now!

Halfpenny Blackjacks - FOuR for a penny in my day!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Did you get cinnamon tatties south of the border ?
A kind of mishapen chunk of softish rock sweetie covered in cinnamon and icing sugar ? Used to have a tiny wee plastic charm/toy pressed into them before they went hard.
H & S would have a nightmare with it these days, but oh they were good :D

M

Kid's??? I remember when a tupenny 'mix up' had 10 sweets, and penny wafers trhat cost a penny, and when white mice were mostly sugar and.... I'll not go on.

Tupenny's, half pennies....what are they? :p

I remember when penny sweets were actually just a penny from the tuck shop, now they have increased I believe. Ooo and I used to love white mice and those white buttons with those coloured balls on top.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Did you get cinnamon tatties south of the border ?
A kind of mishapen chunk of softish rock sweetie covered in cinnamon and icing sugar ? Used to have a tiny wee plastic charm/toy pressed into them before they went hard.
H & S would have a nightmare with it these days, but oh they were good :D

M
Online shops still sell most of the older style sweets like Lucky Tatties (without the charm i'm afraid) I've never had them or heard of them to be honest, but most people I know have never heard of zubes, tiger nuts and mini imps. So I guess it's a bit regional as to what sweets you eat

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Sherbet fountain. The only sweet that looks like a firework.

Did anyone ever manage to consume the sherbet by sucking it up the liquourice 'straw' ?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Kids these days - no respect for experience of years........

:lmao:

For my generation, that might have something to do with decimalisation and 'Rainbow'

My basic premise for this is ...

... our elders inflicted upon us the certain knowledge that six pence was worth just two and a half :yikes: :confused: :lmao:

... our elders inflicted 'Bungle' upon us. It was ok for Bungle to walk around in the buff during the day - but, for some reason, he had to get dressed to go to bed :eek: :rolleyes:

:lmao:
Our elders caused us too much confusion to be afforded the respect they thought that they deserved :lmao:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Been a sweet read this past few pages now that this thread has left the road under the control of the hijackers. (No offence Scorpio)

Alison (my partner) has a best mate who runs a sweetshop which lays down a challenge to find long lost sweets. maybe they can source some of those long lost goodies

In case you're interested here it is. Tell Kay Aaron sent you. Little Nellies Sweet Shop

As for Caramac, it seemed whenever I ate one of those I'd end up coughing, it was like I'd get a bit involuntarily jammed in my throat ... not that I choke voluntarily

Agree that Flakes and Turkish delights being girlies sweets, the same with Walnut whips. I liked Bar Six which was basically a horizontal kit kat. Anyone remember the Texan bar? Guaranteed to pull a filing out in every bite.

My all time fav has got to be smarties though. A five pack lasts me about a week if I ration myself. Peanut M&M's are a close second, but the price of a large bag of those is daylight robbery in comparison.

Going back now to read the rest of the nostalgic memories this thread had to offer.

While on the subject of TV progs anyone remeber H.R. Puff 'n' Stuff? I just have vague memories of it, they're almost dreamlike.

Tutty bye.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
:240:
Going back now to read the rest of the nostalgic memories this thread had to offer.

While on the subject of TV progs anyone remeber H.R. Puff 'n' Stuff? I just have vague memories of it, they're almost dreamlike.

Tutty bye.
They were written in a dream like state too...:240:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Smarties and toblerone for me.

You can get lots of neat stuff on Ebay; I got some sherbert dippers

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
sherbet-flying-saucers.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE