Why should I carry a multitool ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I believe that should be Mochyn Albanwr actually. :)

I said that multitool pliers would be good for pin boning, but on reflection I reckon the wee tweezers on an SAK would be better for that.

If I HAD to carry a wee blade in the city I'd maybe get a multitool too. They are unargueably a tool and not a weapon.

You speeka da lingo?!
Impressed!

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I was given a Gerber multitool for my birthday, at least 12 years ago and it's served me very well, a number of times.

Most memorably; We were doing a sponsored bike ride with the Army Cadets, they were pedaling from Blaydon near Newcastle, over to Warcop Camp in Cumbria.
Anyway, during one of the training runs,the female officer, in charge of the scheme, turned up with the minibus and a trailer full of bikes, all nicely locked up with a seven strand cable and barrel type lock.

I drove to the drop off point, only to find that she had the wrong key for the bike lock. Now this thing was 7x 2mm cables, forming a stainless wire rope,which was in turn,coated with heavy pvc sheathing.

It was a 100 mile, round trip to collect the correct key, so it was decided to break or cut the lock off! The officer was a serving police officer and she had selected the best available cable lock, according to her 'crime prevention' colleagues:rolleyes:

She was adamant that we would need bolt cutters and big uns at that:D

It took me about 15 minutes to sever the damn thing, using my Gerber, initially, I cut the sheathing away for about 10cm, then worked the cable loose by twisting it, till I could get one of the screwdriver blades between the cables. Once into the cables, the wire cutters on the pliers went through like butter.

The most notable thing really,was that I had expected to wreck my cutters but they were,in fact,unscathed!

Oddly enough,I wouldn't buy another Gerber, as I don't think they have anywhere near the build quality of the Leatherman:nutkick:

I carry mine at all times when 'out and about', at least that is, when involved in outdoor activities; camping, canoeing,walking, crafts etc.

So I'd say yes, you are well advised to carry one;)

cheers

Steve

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
I have a couple, but almost never use them. They're a poor substitute for a knife, and as the original poster said "a heavy lump of steel". Still, I try to make sure that I always have at least pliers and scissors in my vehicle or boat, because I know it's only a matter of time before the dog gets into it with a porcupine. They all do, if they spend enough time in the woods around here with you.

Brown Bear

Forager
May 12, 2009
Cambridge
A leatherman is great for the car or bike for minor repairs, but I've never found it much use in the woods or hills. The blades are all rather naff compared to a good knife and the handles are uncomfortable for any prolonged blade working.

having said that, a leatherman is a lovely solid tool and no man can resist a fondle if you whip one out.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I always take a MT with me; last weekend my Leatherman was used for food prep, cutting some lines for the parachute etc, the blade is very sharp and my new Mora 2010 never saw the light of day, just didn't need it.

Its the only bit of kit that goes on every camp with me, all other kit can vary.

G

GearUpEurope.com

My LM Wave sits on my belt until I need it. To be honest, I don't even notice the weight.

While outdoors the Wave mainly gets used for:
1) Removing fish hooks.
2) Moving hot grills and pots of boiling water.
3) Various quick-and-dirty repairs.
4) Tugging tent hooks out of the ground.
5) Fixing kids' bikes.

While at the office it mainly gets used:
1) By co-workers that don't own a Leatherman.
2) To pass the time during boring meetings.
3) Quick repairs, fixes, etc.

leatherman.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE